VMware Horizon Community
emmen
Contributor
Contributor

Wyse P20 Zero Client Connection lost

Hi all,

we got a few Wyse P20 Zero Clients for testing.

a few times a day, they lost connection to the vmware view server and can't connect again. i have to do a hard reset with the power button and then the user can login again and everithing works until the next connection lost.

Has anybody else this problem oder does anybody have a solution?

Details about my environment:

VMware View v.4.0.1 on a win2003Srv Std.

View Client is a WinXP SP3 Virtual Machine in combination with a Wyse P20 zero Client

thanks for your help

0 Kudos
11 Replies
chaz112182
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

i am running the exact same configuration w/ out a hitch. i have 10 p20s running in production and havent had any issues. maybe try downloading the wyse management tool and updating the firmware on all of the devices ?

http://www.wyse.com/serviceandsupport/support/dlOraFW.asp?which=114&model=P20%28Wyse%20Zero%20Client...

emmen
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

I tried this yesterday a few minutes before i posted this thread. So i have to look today if the problem's solved.

I'll post any news...

Thanks and greez

0 Kudos
90210red
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

Did you have any luck after upgrading to the latest firmware .. have your connections been more stable?

0 Kudos
skneuss
Contributor
Contributor

we have the same problem, but we have a windows 2008 server as view connection broker (and 100 P20's)

with the new firmware, there is no change about the client connection lost, i think we have more losts then before the new firmware.

0 Kudos
chaz112182
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Just a heads up that the P20's I have were recalled by Wyse due to network connectivity problems. See communication from Wyse below:

-

During a routine audit of our P20 product, it has come to our attention that some of the P20 units may encounter a problem when connecting to some network switches which are either set to 1000Mbps (mega bits per second) connection speed or may have auto negotiated to 1000Mbps connection speed.

The problem is intermittent and does not occur when connected to the network switch at 100Mbps connection speed. The root cause of the problem has been identified and is due to incorrect installation of magnetics within the RJ45 connector.

We recommend the affected units be swapped with new units

-

This could possibly explain your issue.

0 Kudos
skneuss
Contributor
Contributor

thank you very much for sharing this information.

on our client-side we have only 100mbps (auto negation)

1000mbps is only between the switches and the core-switches.

0 Kudos
cpekar
Contributor
Contributor

Interesting. Just emailed our Wyse contact on this. I've also had random disconnects. Doesn't happen all the time. But, it sure annoys our users.

0 Kudos
90210red
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

After reading this post I was instructed to change from auto negotiate to 100MB/s which appears to have done the trick for now.. I may have had one drop out. ? I would recommend giving that a try. Change to match your environment.

0 Kudos
ludchrs
Contributor
Contributor

In a last ditch effort also try removing any non-essential peripherals such as DVD drives.  We troubleshot the hell out of one user's disconnect issues using the methods listed above and nothing worked.  Removed a P.O.S. usb DVD drive and automagically the disconnects were cured.  Also dont recommend using Buffalo USB DVD-Rom drives w/ your P20s.

0 Kudos
NelsonPSU
Contributor
Contributor

We are testing out the WYSE P20's and have the latest firmware and the 4.5 client on them. We have had an issue before where the VIEW session is lost and it is because it loses network connectivity and the NIC is showing as disconnected. We have to reset the network connection for it to find a DHCP address. Since upgrading to the latest firmware and 4.5 client we still have VIEW disconnects but the network connection loss hasn't happend.

0 Kudos
skneuss
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, when a USB-device is connectet, the P20 will disconnect at random times. Unplug the USB-device, and everything works great.

Wyse told me that with the next View-Release the USB-support will be much better, and they will rollout a new firmware for the Wyse P20. (Maybe February)

[Configuration today:

View 4.5 with ESXi 4.1 - up to date

Win XP SP3 - all Updates

Novell Client

Novell Zenworks

2GB RAM

Wyse P20@rel3-2-2_v306]

0 Kudos