VMware Horizon Community
ajnrock
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Wyse Multimedia Support

Can anyone confirm if the new Wyse Multimedia Support does anything for non-WYSE RDP Thin Clients, or is there only a specific list of WYSE thin clients that this will work on?

Think link does not really clarify.

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=100169...

0 Kudos
9 Replies
mreferre
Champion
Champion

This support is only available for Wyse Thin Clients .... and selected ones.

So the standard S10 won't support them while the new V10L does for example.

Massimo.

Massimo Re Ferre' VMware vCloud Architect twitter.com/mreferre www.it20.info
0 Kudos
ajnrock
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

For those who have seen this new feature, is the difference night & day with high resolution displays in a LAN scenario, or can you still tell from screen paints that you are using a RDP Client.

0 Kudos
sgrinker
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

It is completely night and day, but more from a standpoint of refresh rates and synchronization of the video/audio. If you play the same video from a VM via RDP without the DLLs in place and compare it to another that does... you will DEFINITELY see a difference in playback performance. The key there though, is that the video codec falls under the umbrella of those supported with the current MMR release. Right now the last I heard that was still MPEG1, MPEG2, WMV, and possibly Flash. They supposidly are adding a number of others, but I don't have information on which.

0 Kudos
kreischl
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I still don't see any difference on my V10L with 5.3.0_07 firmware and ESX 3.0.2. I'm testing a WMV file from our streaming server. Did I miss a setting? Video is a tad choppy and the audio is way behind.

EDIT: What mode should I connect at - 1024x768? That might be the issue.

0 Kudos
sgrinker
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I'm assuming you have the MMR DLLs installed on the VM you are connecting to for starters. Codecs can be a fun challenge, as you can't always be certain that the decoder is able to match the encoder. With WMV though, I think there's more of a common playing ground. You run into that more with Divx, XVid, and all the other various flavors. I did most of my testing with MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 videos, just using free sample videos I got from the net. Just run a google search for "free MPEG-2 sample video" or similar. I just found this link on the last search...

I'd start with some video samples from sites like that, and compare the difference on a VM with the MMR installed and one without from the same Thin Client. You should DEFINITELY see a noticeable difference if everything is working correctly. Then you can test other videos to see if the codecs are working. If you don't get the same results from the other videos, I'd imagine that the codec isn't yet fully supported by WYSE. As for resolution, I'm not sure how much of an impact it should/would have, but I was at 1024x768 when testing.

0 Kudos
kreischl
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks - I will try those links.

You are using the MMR's from the new VMware tools?

0 Kudos
ajnrock
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I had a recent conversation with Wyse - Sounds like the VL10 needs some sort of activation done on the cleint to make this work (feature costs ~ $25 per terminal to activate). They say they are going to get me a demo activation key. I will report back.

0 Kudos
sgrinker
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Yes, thanks for the reminder! There was an email related to an activation and associated cost not too long ago. When I did my testing awhile back, I was working with a Beta release. Not sure what you have for versions currently, but you definitely may want to check into the activation if still not having any luck.

0 Kudos
kreischl
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks ajnrock. I'll call them too.

I did notice there was a MMR 2.0 under the V10L downloads screen. Has anyone tried this?

0 Kudos