VMware Horizon Community
Koppihle
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

With VMware View can you use persistent disks and roaming profiles together

Site already has roaming profiles setup on XP and new VDI's are Win7 so new profiles (username.v2) will be created anyways. However I would like to continue using roaming profiles hosted on a server so that the data is replicated and backed up. (redundant solutions already in place) Initially though we setup persistent disks and the VDI will not sync the roaming profile with the one on D:\   I have confirmed my roaming profiles work fine on a physical system running Win7 but having issues with VDI. Wondering if I can get them to sync in current configuration or if I should scrap the persistent drive in a way that the data will all remain and sync to roaming profile consistently even if I refresh or update my VDI golden image?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kgsivan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi, Welcome to the Community

If you want to use your existing Roaming Profile setup, then the better option is not to use the 'Persistent Disk' configuration. Redirection to the persistent disk in static, and it bring additional storage utilization.

While provisioning a Desktop pool with persistent disk, View composert modifies the user profile path in HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Profile List to the D Drive.  This may conflict with your roaming profile setup. To confirm that, in the physical machine modify 'Default',  'Profile Directory' and 'Public' string values in Profile List registry which refers to a new path.

>> if I should scrap the persistent drive in a way that the data will all  remain and sync to roaming profile consistently even if I refresh or  update my VDI golden image?

Yes, this sould be the feasible option for you. Deploy dedicated pools without User Data redirection

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
kgsivan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi, Welcome to the Community

If you want to use your existing Roaming Profile setup, then the better option is not to use the 'Persistent Disk' configuration. Redirection to the persistent disk in static, and it bring additional storage utilization.

While provisioning a Desktop pool with persistent disk, View composert modifies the user profile path in HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Profile List to the D Drive.  This may conflict with your roaming profile setup. To confirm that, in the physical machine modify 'Default',  'Profile Directory' and 'Public' string values in Profile List registry which refers to a new path.

>> if I should scrap the persistent drive in a way that the data will all  remain and sync to roaming profile consistently even if I refresh or  update my VDI golden image?

Yes, this sould be the feasible option for you. Deploy dedicated pools without User Data redirection

0 Kudos