VMware Horizon Community
vmmedmed
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

With Horizon desktop - how can I setup to print to a local printer

The IP scheme in one of my remote offices changed today. We changed the IP address

on the local desktop computer. But when we went to print from their VDI the option

to print locally was no longer there. How does one setup printing on a local Windows

machine and then have that local printer visible to the windows Horizon virtual desktop?

My own desktop seems to have just done it with no extra effort on my part. But

I don't know how to show someone else how to do it.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Mickeybyte2
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

If it works fine on your VDI, I suppose the Integrated Printing or Virtual Printing option has been installed as part of the Horizon agent?

I've seen similar cases, where an update of the Horizon client on the computer solved that issue. Make sure you use a Horizon client 5.1 or later.

Regards, Michiel.
0 Kudos
vmmedmed
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It had been working fine for them. But then when we changed the IP address of the printer on the local desktop,

the option to print to the local printer disappeared from the VDI. But sounds like you think that if it had been

working that likely Integrated Printing or Virtual Printing was installed on the desktop. Do you know what I

would look for on their VDI? Those would be standalone programs? Or an option somewhere?

That's a good point on the Horizon version. I didn't ask. Will check that.

0 Kudos
Mickeybyte2
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

The virtual printing or integrated printing is an option of the Horizon Agent that is installed on the VDI master image. It's not something on the local desktop. Without it, local print redirection to VDI will not work, so that will be OK as it works for you. Are you using the same desktop pool as the other users?

Also check if you can find some information in the logs on the local computer in C:\programdata\vmware\VDM\logs. There should be some logs about print redirection setup.

Regards, Michiel.