VMware Horizon Community
kenrinc
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Windows mic and camera privacy settings

Hi All,

I've been working on getting the mic and camera working in a pool of Windows Server 2019 (1809. Build 17763.2183) clients we are using for one off client systems. I've confirmed I can get MS Teams working with the local mic and camera as long as I have them turned on in Windows via the privacy settings.  We are currently not using multimedia redirection. The issue is having them turned on before or during the time the user is logging in so that they are on during the session. I can't seem to figure out how to get them on.

• I've tried modifying the default user registry hive on the template used for the pool,
  • I've tried directly turning them on and saving them with the template. 
  • I've tried injecting a runonce > regedit /r "registry path" during the customization policy.

This seems to be the key that needs to be modified BUT, this key is already set to allow on my clients:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\CapabilityAccessManager\ConsentStore\webcam

However, the "local user" key is set to DENY:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\CapabilityAccessManager\ConsentStore\webcam

If I login as a user and set this key, the webcam becomes available so I know this is the key I need.

I'm perplexed as to how I get them to stay on or force them via some other means.  I've been trying to avoid group policy for a number of reasons.  We are using a customization profile that includes running sysprep which I believe may have something to do with it always being reset. Everything works great accept for this one piece!  Any help appreciated.

Ken-

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kenrinc
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Just so this might help someone in the future. It turned out to be Registry entries for the default user.  Login to the template as admin, open registry, goto HKEY_USER and LOAD the default user hive. Make the changes.  UNLOAD. For me the "allow" text ended up being case sensitive (ie: Allow). It is now working. 

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\CapabilityAccessManager\ConsentStore\webcam

Should be: Allow

Obviously a windows issue and not Horizon one but maybe helpful none the less.

Ken

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
kenrinc
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Just so this might help someone in the future. It turned out to be Registry entries for the default user.  Login to the template as admin, open registry, goto HKEY_USER and LOAD the default user hive. Make the changes.  UNLOAD. For me the "allow" text ended up being case sensitive (ie: Allow). It is now working. 

Should be: Allow

Obviously a windows issue and not Horizon one but maybe helpful none the less.

Ken

0 Kudos