VMware Horizon Community
gpeck29
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Windows XP Embedded

All,

I was given an t5720 thin client to test with VDM. This is not on the approved list, but it is running XP Embedded. I can install the VDM client, but when I try to connect to my VDM server, I get an error, "The VDM Server connection failed. The VDM Server request timed out."

Has anybody been able to get Windows XP Embedded to work with VDM? What might I be missing?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rdanda
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

No worries, glad I could help. I am strapped with 50 HP Thin Clients and they are a mess. I push that Sysgate remove script I built as the first thing I do when I reimage a client with a new WinXPe flash. By the way, do you know if you can do an unattended install of the VDM client. I want to push it out without having to click next etc.....

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
16 Replies
mattcoppinger
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Yes you can install the VDM Client on Windows XPe.

Can you resolve the Connection Server from the client?

Can you ping the Connection Server IP address from the client?

Have you configured the Connection Server to use HTTP or HTTPS? Is the client configured to use the corresponding protocol?

Is the VDM Connection Server deployed in a DMZ environment?

Regards,

Matt

0 Kudos
gpeck29
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

1) I have installed the VDM client in Embedded XP and committed it to to the flash RAM.

2) I can ping my connection server and all the XP VM's that are part of the connection pool

3) I can connect to the web interface of the VDM server and get the entitiled connection pool listed

4) VDM is configured to require SSL connection, and the client is also set to use SSL.

5) I can RDP to each of the XP workstations using a straight RDP client.

thanks for the asssitance.

0 Kudos
gpeck29
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I forgot to mention that the VDM server and the XP workstations are on different subnets, but no firewall or DMZ is in the configuration.

I also configured the connection server to not use SSL, rebooted it, and tried again. I get the same error message.

FYI...this works fine on Windows XP Professional.

0 Kudos
mattcoppinger
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Sounds like a client configuration issue.

Have you tried running the DCT support tool?

Are you using a proxy server on the browser you are using? VDM Client will use these proxy settings, so ensure the proxy can resolve the broker.

Is there a client side firewall running?

Strange that you can connect to Web Access but not through the VDM Client.

The only issue I am aware of regards to XPe is a possible issue with old RDP 5.x clients (not supporting loopback connections to 127.0.0.1).

Can you give us the exact error message and logs if possible.

Matt

gpeck29
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I agree on the client side issue, but this is the first time I have worked with Windows XP Embedded.

I have not tried the DCT support tools, and I'm not sure where to find them or run them. Can you explain?

I can not run telnet, as it is not on the system. I'll try to get it installed.

There is no client side firewall running, looks like it is not part of XP embedded.

I'll see if I can update the RDP client as well.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
mattcoppinger
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

The DCT Support tool should be under C:\Program Files\VMware\VDM\DCT... or something to that effect.

The logs are under C:\docs and settings\all users\application data\vmware\vdm\logs etc.

If you can get web access to the connection server from the XPe client then you don't need to test with Telnet.

The RDP issue only comes about when you are connecting to a desktop not connecting to the connection server.

Matt

0 Kudos
gpeck29
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Found the DCT tool, but when running support.bat, I get an error on line 48 of the vbs script...WMI. I'm not sure if this is due to this being XP embedded or not.

Found the logs, but they weren't helpful...just repeats the same error as the dialog box.

I can get web access, just can't connect...

This is frustrating!

0 Kudos
mattcoppinger
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Ok so you can increase the logging level by doing the following:

Open regedit and add the following:

HKLM\Software\VMware, Inc.\VMware VDM\TraceEnabled = true

Restart the VDM Client and attempt to connect to the Connection Server. This should give you more logging, please post here or send to me at mattc@vmware.com

When you say you can get Web Access but can't connect can you be specific about the steps and where the process fails... same with the VDM Client please.

Regards,

Matt

0 Kudos
gpeck29
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Matt,

I sent you the logs via email. I closed the client, deleted the existing log file, changed the registry setting and started the client again. You should have a clean log to look at.

As fas as the web componenent: I can log into VDM Web Access with my windows account, password and domain. I can see the connection pool that I am entitled to, and when I click connect I get an error: The desktop has faield to open. (XPWorkstations) This desktop is currently not available. Please try connecting to this desktop again later, or contact your system administrator.

0 Kudos
mattcoppinger
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Greg,

I've received the logs. I will take an indepth look later. However, it appears that the client can "see" the server but the client does not receive a response from the server. Possibly a connectivity issue between the Broker and the client. I will need to see the server logs to confirm. Check the server can ping/resolve the client.

The desktop unavailable is a separate issue. Check the virtual machine is listed as READY in the Web Admin console and that the pool has the virtual machine accounted for. This isn't an XPe issue. Ensure the VM has the Agent installed and check the logs on both the agent and the server to ensure they can see each other. The server log should report that your virtual machine is "online".

Regards,

Matt

0 Kudos
rdanda
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Not sure if you still have the Sysgate firewall installed. It comes standard with WinXPe on HP Thin Clients. I had to remove that before the client would connect. HP has some nice unistall scripts and RIP's on the support site for the HP Thin Client. I am saddled with 50 of those boat anchors!!

gpeck29
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Matt,

I'm able to ping the XPe device from the VDM server using both name and IP address.

Concerning the server logs, I moved today's logs to another folder and tried to connect to the VDM server with the VDM client and there were no logs created. However, I tried with VDM web access and logs were created.

The server unavailable issue is resolved. The 2XP VMs were not in the pool. I added those and reconnected. Now whenI log into web access I can click connect, but the animated circle next to the pool name keeps revolving and revolving...

The server log is attached.

0 Kudos
gpeck29
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

rdanda...you are correct. The Sygate firewall was installed and running. I disabled it and it works fine now. I was looking for the Windows XP firewall, not a third party firewall.

I have marked my question as answered, hopefully that will give you the credit for answering the question.

Matt, Thanks for all the help...I apologize for leading you on a goose chase!

0 Kudos
gpeck29
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Richard,

Give me that answer again, and I'll make it the correct answer. I can not make mark it that way since I previously marked it as helpful.

0 Kudos
rdanda
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

No worries, glad I could help. I am strapped with 50 HP Thin Clients and they are a mess. I push that Sysgate remove script I built as the first thing I do when I reimage a client with a new WinXPe flash. By the way, do you know if you can do an unattended install of the VDM client. I want to push it out without having to click next etc.....

0 Kudos
mattcoppinger
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Greg,

No problem. I did ask about the client side firewall Smiley Wink

Glad you have solved your issue.

Regards,

Matt

0 Kudos