VMware Horizon Community
cdiiorio
Contributor
Contributor

Windows Vista Direct 3D

Hi,

We evaluated and ultimately bought VM Ware View in order to replace VM Ware ACE, while at the same time making use of our ESX farm (we have 14 servers running ESX 3.5). The primary motivation for moving away from ACE was the need to train Windows Vista courses (our organization helps teachers understand technology, among other services). Set up and such went great and our first round of classes were generally well received, however, there is no 3D Acceleration or Direct3D provided by ESX/Vm Ware tools in the svga II driver.

This fact prevents our Application trainers from utilizing a great number of features of Vista, as well as add on applications that require it.

I'm not looking for an "yeah that's not supported" answer here. We need solutions. If there aren't any available then VM Ware simply must make this fact public knowledge to potential customers BEFORE they sell their product. While it's true we did not test these features during our evaluation, I saw or read nothing that would even hint at a lack of full video support, in the forums, knowledgebase or documentation.

After the work that's already been done, creating multiple View snapshots, grouped, customized and distributed, for me to have to switch back to ACE (presuming using ACE and the inherent hardware of the machine would support 3D) or move to a Microsoft or other Virtual product, would be pure torture of the sort that might put off VM Ware as a soultion for quite some time within our organization.

PLEASE, someone, tell me there is a solution for this. I've read about and attempted many different changes, including implementing the vm ware workstation suggested changes (mks.enable3d = "TRUE" / svga.vramSize = 67108864 /

mks.noGL = "FALSE"); though I had to add the svga parameter as an advanced configuration paremeter in the VM hardware profile of the base vm I was using for the snapshot. I've installed the latest DirectX, I've followed all of Microsoft's suggestions and I've read some threads here where "that's not supported" was the answer.

Some folks mentioned third party solutions. While distasteful to consider I would need to add something to our expensive VM Ware investment, if there is an easy way to get 3D to work under Vista on a VM running on our ESX farm, I'll at least consider it.

I don't mean to couple my frustration within this plea for help, however, I hope that someone out there will understand my perspective, as well as what I might need to tell our Trainers, their managers and our combined supervisors when the answer is "that's not supported".

Thanks for whatever help you can offer.

Chris

0 Kudos
7 Replies
AndreTheGiant
Immortal
Immortal

But how could I implement the virtual desktop infrastructure

Virtualization is not a 360° solution.

Some system cannot (or is better not) be virtualized.

CAD and multimedia system are just an example (can work with desktop virtualization solutions but not with server enterprise solutions).

Isn't really even any third party product (driver, plugin...) available, to achieve what I need?

One solution could be use blade workstation (like HP solution).

Another could be wait until when View will implement 3D acceleration. See:

Andre

Andrew | http://about.me/amauro | http://vinfrastructure.it/ | @Andrea_Mauro
0 Kudos
cdiiorio
Contributor
Contributor

Read entire similar thread, even before posting. Answer not helpful as:

a) The solution is something called RGS which is not explained, linked to or described in any way.

b) The end of the thread indicates that this is an HP centered solution that HP will no longer be supporting. It also describes the solution as working on HP hardware. We are not using HP hardware.

Our VM Ware rep was supposedly asking his "view people" but thusfar I am deafened by the silence.

If we must go back to using ACE or simply try a different virtualization product please say so. Searching for answers and getting vague or cut and pasted replies is far more frustrating than simply being told that our investment in view will not suit our needs.

Chris

0 Kudos
AndreTheGiant
Immortal
Immortal

If we must go back to using ACE or simply try a different virtualization product please say so.

With this version of View seems possible only with RGS protocol. But is not applicable in your case.

Maybe with new version of View...

Andre

Andrew | http://about.me/amauro | http://vinfrastructure.it/ | @Andrea_Mauro
0 Kudos
cdiiorio
Contributor
Contributor

View 4 is supposed to resolve this issue entirely. I spoke to our SE and he indicated View 4 will be available before the end of this year.

Thanks for your suggestions,

Chris

0 Kudos
cdiiorio
Contributor
Contributor

Ok so here I am wiht View 4 on ESX 4 and still no accelerated Graphics support.

Virtualization isn't the answer to everything is a fine thing to say after the fact but I've had several SE's and VM Ware salespeople assure me that VIEW is what we want to, and should be, using for training. We bought it under the pretense that it would "work better:" than ACE for what we needed to do. So far I'm still trying to remove the shaft.

Chris

0 Kudos
dturner71
Contributor
Contributor

So does that mean no Aero in Vista / Win 7? We're not there yet but I'd like to know beforehand.

I realize that companies generally don't like to talk about future plans, but maybe VMware will throw us a bone on this one. Is 3D support in the development roadmap somewhere or not?

While it may not be an apples to apples comparison it seems that if RGS can do it, it must be technically possible.

0 Kudos
cdiiorio
Contributor
Contributor

Support responded claiming it is, in fact, available using PCoIP and the new agent. I installed the agent but don't have the options described in hteir documentation so I'm going to rip out the client on my workstation and start over (it was installed as 3.x an upgraded). Here is the guide they sent me:

http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/VMware-View4-Evaluators-Guide.pdf?source=web&ct=res&cd=7&ved=0CBgQFj...

Page 29 has the PCoIP setting. I'll see what happens next.

Chris

0 Kudos