VMware Horizon Community
TetsumiTamaru
Contributor
Contributor

Windows Server 2008 for Guest desktop OS

Windows 7 licence price is expensive.

Windows Server 2008 R2 Datacenter edtionhas Unlimited virtual image use right.

Can I use Windows Server 2008 R2 for Guest desktop operationg system ?

Can I use PCoIP with Windows Server 2008 R2 Guest desktop operation system ?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
10 Replies
tacticsbaby
Expert
Expert

As long as you can install the View agent you should be able to use Windows 2008 server. In fact I think this is supported. The thing you should consider is licensing from MS. Somehow I don't think they are friendly towards this type of setup. Even though you may pay a lower OS cost you should check to see what other costs there are. In the case of desktop Windows OS and VDI you will end up paying MS a license fee for using it in VDI.

0 Kudos
AndreTheGiant
Immortal
Immortal

Windows Server is recognized as an external TS source...

So it cannot be used as a desktop.

Maybe by some hacking in the registry could be possible to make it declare as a Windows 7...

Andre

Andrew | http://about.me/amauro | http://vinfrastructure.it/ | @Andrea_Mauro
0 Kudos
tacticsbaby
Expert
Expert

Does this mean that installing an agent is not possible? Or if I installed an agent are you saying it would be treated as just a 2 user terminal server by view?

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

If you installed the agent and setup a TS pool inside of View you could connect to the box.   You wouldn't have PCOIP or USB redirection but you could connect up.   It wouldn't be available for addition to any other pool as a server OS isn't supported. 

0 Kudos
tacticsbaby
Expert
Expert

Thanks, that clarifies this. It would be nice to be able to connect to a 2008 server as just a single session rather than a terminal server. I was thinking of this in the context of a special server support group. I imagine there must be better ways to pull something like this off. I'm thinking about something along the lines of a server that can be as disposable as a virtual desktop. Is this realistic or should I just go eat more fiber? Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

I don't think View does any checks for the Terminal Server role when your creating a Terminal Server pool.    So you could have a typical server with the agent installed setup being acessed by people without the terminal server role.    

0 Kudos
tacticsbaby
Expert
Expert

Yes, I think that may be the path. I just tried an install of the agent on a 2008 server and it installed without any problem but view put it in the list of incompatible VMs because of the wrong OS. TS is the way to go in this case it seems. Thanks.

0 Kudos
TetsumiTamaru
Contributor
Contributor

I think following configuration is not violationg Microsoft Windows VDA licence.

(1)Wise Pocket Cloud on iPad.

I should use VNC mode to avoid Microsoft RDP license on Windows 2008 R2 Data center edtion.

(2) IP-SEC turnnel in internet.

(3)IP-SEC center router.

Example is Fortigate or Cisco.

(4)Skip VMware View Manager or session broker.

I think this can not handle VNC session.

(5)Ultra VNC server on Windows 2008 R2 Datacenter edtion.

They say Ultra VNC can handle Active directory authentication.

I know iPad user can not power on ESXi gest OS by themself.

He or she should call vCenter server operator.

0 Kudos
afertmann
Contributor
Contributor

Tactics -

Did you find a workaround?  I've been trying to do this as well.  I use windows 2008 as my desktop OS and I wanted to be able to access it via View so I could work from my iPad.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
tacticsbaby
Expert
Expert

I did not find a work-around, but what ended up happening is that View does allow you to use Win2008, but only as a terminal server. With just a regular 2008 server this amounts to a single TS server connection. Also, I believe that you can only use RDP so I don't know how this will work with an iPad. Hope this helps.

0 Kudos