VMware Horizon Community
marcbnz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Windows Search Index - Linked Clone desktops

Hi ,

I'm investigating the issue of the windows search service database being re-created at every desktop login (or at any recompose) due to the fact the database can only reside on a local fixed disk (see Group Policy for Windows Search)

I've had a good search around the forums and discussions but cannot find a suitable workaround that would let a user keep the same windows search index database across all of their VDI end experiences.

The desktop optimisation guide and the labs optimisation tool both suggest to disable the search function - I can appreciate why this would be the case for IO constrained storage, but this leaves the end user without the function that many have grown accustom to using on their daily desktop life (searching large mailboxes etc.)

If anyone has any ideas It'd be gratefully appreciated.

Cheers!

-marc

0 Kudos
4 Replies
rflarabee
Contributor
Contributor

This is where you can use persona manager to move the indexes with the profile.  However, if the vm is different, I am working on this type of issue with Persona Manger, then the index can be wrong.

0 Kudos
marcbnz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

...this looks like the elephant in the room for many VDI technologies Smiley Sad

xen/vdi/view all 'direct' their desktop optimisation to have the service disabled. - I have a ticket open for the 'official' response (fingers crossed!)

0 Kudos
Gyalis
Contributor
Contributor

I'm experiencing the same issue with no luck finding a work-around. Please post the official response from the ticket would greatly be appreciated.

0 Kudos
marcbnz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

I've just come off the phone to VMware support (yes it took this long to get a reply)

As suspected - "not supported" is the official response. (Dedicated desktops are OK) - so if you use Windows Search (for network locations/email etc.), you are clean out of luck for a 'persistent' search index in the Floating Pool VDI world Smiley Sad