VMware Horizon Community
jkoodari
Contributor
Contributor

Windows 8 with View 5

Is it possible use Windows 8 Consumer Preview desktop with View 5? View Agent installation gives error "Unable to connect to viewserver. TCP connection failure on TCP port 389 Please check he server name entered." Server name is correct and Windows 7 desktops are working fine.

0 Kudos
30 Replies
towlesd
Contributor
Contributor

I think I can help. I just posted a very in-depth blog post on the issues of creating a Windows 8 Vmware Pool. I tried following Leibovici's guide (http://myvirtualcloud.net/?p=2991) but found that I could not get the Windows 8 VMs to show under the "Other Sources"

In the post I also include how diagnosed the problem in case it helps others find similar issues.

http://www.christowles.com/2012/04/expanded-guide-for-windows-8-on-vmware.html

I also worked on the "Waiting for Agent" issue in the same post.

0 Kudos
DavidPatrick
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Great work Chris, had issues for weeks and I followed your setups.

Now its working with RDP and PCOIP.

Also I was having issues with the black screen when connecting using PCOIP.

I am using the 64bit O/S and I had allocated 4GB of memory per virtual machine.

I found changing the memory allocation to 2GB or 3 GB and it would work fine.

cheers 

0 Kudos
CaiJinZhan
Contributor
Contributor

I still can't get it to work. Did everything as stated. Change ospaeversion to 5.....add as 'other' instead of vCenter...but when i try to connect, i got a 'No desktop source assigned for this desktop' error. What gives?

Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
Datto
Expert
Expert

Just wanted to mention a new blog link from End User Computing at VMware that shows step-by-step instructions on how to use Windows 8 Release Preview with View 5.1 and ESXi 5.0U1 (unsupported for the moment of course):

http://blogs.vmware.com/euc/2012/07/experimenting-with-windows-8-desktops-in-view.html

Hop y'all find that interesting.

Datto

0 Kudos
brianst
Contributor
Contributor

Installed the View5 Agent x64 to the newly released Windows 8 Enterprise build 9200. Also took a look at the blog post to see if I followed the steps correctly. Only thing I forgot to do was add the additional memory to the video card, and disable persona management on install of the agent. However following the agent install, the VM display was a black screen - even from the console. Not sure if anyone else has tried it, but would be interested. (yes, I understand this is currently unsupported by VMWare and we are all awaiting an updated agent for Win8).

0 Kudos
commando14
Contributor
Contributor

I had the same problem with the black screen after installing the View Agent on the W8 Enterprise RTM release today... had to enable 3D in the video card settings for the VM.

0 Kudos
svcdesk
Contributor
Contributor

I installed Win8 RTM x64 (technet subscription) and have given it 128mb video memory, enabled 3D, removed Persona, Disabled UAC, Disabled Firewall and still cannot connect using PCOIP.  Connecting via RDP is fine.  I get a black screen for a bit and the client says "The connection to the remote computer ended"

Device manager shows an error on the SVGA driver -  "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)"

Also, agent logs shows "fatal error cannot open svgadevtap"

Anyone have any ideas for me?  I am going to start another win8 install from scratch in the mean time.

0 Kudos
Datto
Expert
Expert

Suggestion -- try the later VMware Tools available for download on VMware's website (not the tools that came with the ESXi host) or wait until later tools are made available by VMware.

Datto

0 Kudos
svcdesk
Contributor
Contributor

no go on the latest tools.

0 Kudos
brianst
Contributor
Contributor

Great instructions on this thread. Am still having some trouble, though, trying to change the OS type via the instructions on the posted link in this thread. Agent got installed without black screen, however as stated, is not showing up on the View Connection Server. I get an error when trying to connect to the LDAP via adsiedit. Any reason why it might not let me connect in to change the OS type?

0 Kudos
mattkoz
Contributor
Contributor

How much RAM did you allocated?  I had the same problem with 4G of RAM.  If I do 1 vCPU and 2GB of RAM, the problem goes away...  Let me know if this works for you.

0 Kudos