VMware Horizon Community
TheITHollow
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Windows 8 PCoIP Black Screen

I was wondering if anyone had tried setting up VMware View 5.1.1 with Windows 8 yet?

I'm getting the dreaded black screen of death when using PCoIP but not with RDP.  After about 10 seconds of black screen I get disconnected.

My video memory is set to 32Mb, I have not Group Policies or login banners of any kind and I'm on a flat LAN with no firewalls in my lab.

I have installed the VMware Tools first, and then the View Agent afterwards.

Anyone had success getting Windows 8 to work with View?

Anyone had issues with Windows 8 working with View?

http://www.theithollow.com
0 Kudos
15 Replies
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

How much memory does the Win8 have?

What version of Windows8?

What View agent did you install?

Also try to up the graphics memory to 128Mb

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
SPSUdave
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having the same problem.  I have not tried RDP yet, but PCoIP goes to black

VM has 4096MB

Version: Windows 8 Pro version 6.2 build 9200

Installed View Agent 5.1.1-799444

Originally had 99MB of video ram allocated to it.  Upped it to 128.  Still no go.

0 Kudos
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

Try to assign only 2Gb or ram and post back.

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
SPSUdave
Contributor
Contributor

Changed to 2GB RAM.  Still nothing but black and then a disconnect.  Very weird.

0 Kudos
SPSUdave
Contributor
Contributor

It does connect over RDP.

0 Kudos
mbze430
Contributor
Contributor

I am ALSO having the same exact problem.  Windows 8 64bit VM  assigned to a Manual Pool in View Manager.  Getting a black screen and disconnect.

I also have a test Windows XP SP3 VM running exactly like the Windows 8 64bit Manual Pool, and it works perfectly with PCoIP.  Changing vram didn't help the matter... assigning 2GB or 4GB or 1GB of memory didn't have any effects either.

PS:  The Windows 8 64bit Manual Pool will log in fine with RDP.

Additional Note:  Tried it on View Client 5.2.0 build-848202 and also on a Mac View Client 1.6 (844387) both exhibit the same results

0 Kudos
mbze430
Contributor
Contributor

just for the sake of testing.. I installed a Windows 7 64bit Pro using the exact installation method.  And it works perfectly fine with PCoIP.

So I have to guess that Windows 8 RTM is not yet fully compatible with View Agent???  Can someone confirm?

If I have more time I will reinstall a new copy of Windows 8 and try again.  Will report back.

0 Kudos
mbze430
Contributor
Contributor

After a fresh install of Windows 8 64bit with just VMware Tools + VMWare Agent.  Not even Windows 8 updates.  Still the same... Connection via PCoIP black screen then disconnect.

I have noticed that during the Agent installation on both WinXP and Win7 it will pop up a message dialogue saying it's installing Driver Software(something to that effect), but during the Win8 Agent installation this message dialogue box never comes up.  I checked the Win8's Device Manager machine with Agent installed.  It seems to have the 'similar' Agent drivers installed.  But anyway, that is the only "difference" I have noticed.

So I have come to the conclusion that Agent is not yet compatible with RTM/Retail Win8.

Unless of course someone can/have gotten View to work.

Hopefully there will be a resolution soon

0 Kudos
TheITHollow
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

i opened a case with vmware support and tbe official response was that view doesnt support windows 8 yet.

http://www.theithollow.com
0 Kudos
ricdib
Contributor
Contributor

Hi!

Try to update the virtual hardware on the VM, It worked for me.

0 Kudos
mbze430
Contributor
Contributor

Updated the VM to VM9 still the same.. blank screen disconnect

0 Kudos
pac1085
Contributor
Contributor

I had this issue - and limiting the memory to 3072mb seems to have cured it.  I really want to allocate more memory to this VM though.  Win 7 X64 SP1.

0 Kudos
MarkBenson314
Contributor
Contributor

After much trial and error, I have made Windows 8 work over PCoIP.

Please see my detailed instructions at the following post:

http://communities.vmware.com/thread/428986

Good luck and enjoy!

0 Kudos
Bvred4244
Contributor
Contributor

Just to follow up, we are also having this issue and locking them down below 4GB of memory is fixing it for us.  Strange, and unwelcome Smiley Happy   But since it's not currently supported, we'll take it.

0 Kudos
MikeFarmerITP
Contributor
Contributor

Anyone find out from VMware when Windows8 will be supported?  this seems like a big issue..

0 Kudos