VMware Horizon Community
cnidus
Contributor
Contributor

Windows 7 x64 in View 4

Hi,

I'm trying to build a small test environment for my organisation of view 4 and am having trouble installing the agent on a win7 x64 guest.

I know View doesnt officially support x64 yet, but I've seen several installs that seem to mention its possible (without USB redirection).

So, how do I get it installed?

Thanks,

Doug

Douglas Youd Senior Virtualization Engineer zettagrid
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

In the 4.0.1 release we implemented some checks to make sure its a supported OS.

In the 4.0.0 this check is not implemented..

Best regards,

Linjo

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
cnidus
Contributor
Contributor

Ok.... So can I bypass this or ist the 4.0 installer available?

0 Kudos
AGratefulDad
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

My understanding is that it does not work - we tried all the "work arounds" and could never get past the error message.

I spoke to an SE from VMWare and he says it does not work and was unsure how others supposedly got it to work.

Cheers!

Twitter: @thevirtualguy
cnidus
Contributor
Contributor

Patchy support as usual then.... Great. Thanks all, back to x86 for me then.

0 Kudos
kenhutchinson
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Why would you want to run a Windows x64 vm anyway? Unless you are planning to give your vm's more than 3GB RAM or you are running an app that ONLY works on x64 its kind of pointless. Windows 7 x64 has a larger overhead and memory footprint to x86 so if running 3GB RAM or less, you will get less vm's on your host. I'm not saying there is no use case for it but you wanna be sure of the requirment first.

0 Kudos
SHPS_VmWare
Contributor
Contributor

We are running into this wall as well.

As to the anwser to the replied question "why run 64bit as a desktop"; we have developers that we are targeting for View, that will be deloping in a 64bit platform.

We were hoping to make our development cycle easier by giving them 64 bit windows 7, and running 2008r2 in the higher environments..

Does any SE on this community know of roadmap for windows 7 support in view?

0 Kudos