VMware Horizon Community
theharveyman
Contributor
Contributor

Windows 7 linked clone pool w/sysprep stops at Set up Windows Screen when provisioning

Hello all,

We had a vendor bring out a server to do a VDI proof of concept for us.  It's running ESX 4.1, View 4.5, and Composer.  I am having no problems provisioning Win XP linked clone pools w/sysprep fully automated, but every time I try it with Windows 7 x64 SP1, the desktops stop at the Set Up Winodws screen asking for time zone info, creating a local account, etc.  If I click through it they finish setup and work fine.  Any ideas why this may be happpening?

Thanks

0 Kudos
3 Replies
netjim66
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

On the pool with the Windows 7 linked clones: Is the pool setup to use Quickprep or Custom (use Sysprep)?

On your Windows 7 x64 image: How did you build it?

1. Build your base image in VSphere.
  2. Log in as "Administrator" once the machine is built up.
  3. Keep it in a WORKGROUP
  4. Add software, and settings.
  5. Shut it down. (Do not run sysprep)
  6. Make a snapshot.
  7. Use that snapshot in the pool.
  8. In VSphere, create a custom setup in the "Customization Specifications Manager"
  9. In View Manager, assign that customization to the pool.
0 Kudos
rjaudon
Contributor
Contributor

@theharveyman

Did the suggestion work?

0 Kudos
theharveyman
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the replies.  Due to time constraints, the vendor had built the base vm and snapshotted it beforehand.  I decided to try building a new one this morning, following the steps in the View Admin guide and the View Optimization Guide for Windows 7, and it is working correctly now.  I'm not sure what was up with the parent vm and snapshot he created, but it forced me to read through a bunch of documentation and learn a lot, and build one from scratch, and now it works.  Smiley Happy  I'm not sure why they brought 4.5 for the POC either.  I'd really like to be testing this out with version 5.   Hopefully we can do that soon.

0 Kudos