VMware Horizon Community
tacticsbaby
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Windows 7 license activation

We are beginning to use Windows 7 Professional in our View 4.6 environment. We will be deploying Win 7 VMs as linked clones. We are using a Microsoft Volume license ( MS Select without SA at this time, but will be moving to Select Plus). My question is how are my licenses counted on the Microsoft side each time I recompose my linked clone pool. For example lets say that I have 20 Windows 7 licenses and I build a linked clone pool of 20 VMs. If I recompose the pool will MS see me as trying to use another 20 licenses or will the original activation stick. What is the best practice here for managing Windows 7 licensing and linked clones. Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kgsivan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Yes, You are right.

See this snip from Microsoft.

Activation Count Cache

To track the activation threshold, the KMS host keeps a record of the KMS client computers that request activation. The KMS host gives each KMS client computer a client machine identification (CMID) designation, and the KMS host saves each CMID in a table. Each activation request remains in the table for 30 days. When a client computer renews its activation, the cached CMID is removed from the table, a new record is created, and the 30-day period begins again. If a KMS client computer does not renew its activation within 30 days, the KMS host removes the corresponding CMID from the table and reduces the activation count by one.

The KMS host caches twice the number of CMIDs that KMS clients require to help ensure that the CMID count does not drop below the activation threshold. For example, on a network with client computers running Windows 7, the KMS activation threshold is 25, so the KMS host caches the CMIDs of the most recent 50 activations. The KMS activation threshold for Windows Server 2008 R2 is 5. A KMS host that is contacted only by KMS client computers running Windows Server 2008 R2 would cache the 10 most recent CMIDs. If a client computer running Windows 7 later contacts that KMS host, KMS increases the cache size to 50 to accommodate the higher threshold. KMS never reduces the cache size.

KMS does not limit the number of machines that activate, the FAQ Post states you can use the same key to cover multiple agreements and to activate those machines with the single Key. You don't have to add any licenses, since there is not limit in KMS.

Hope this clarifies.

-Siva

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
15 Replies
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

this thread is a good read and you will get more insight on windows 7 activation .. http://communities.vmware.com/thread/248839

tacticsbaby
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Thanks Idle!

0 Kudos
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

let us know if you have any more questions after reading the thread and the KB, we're glad to help you out 😃

0 Kudos
AndreTheGiant
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

VMware View support only MKS mode.

But only 20 VMs are not enough to active the MKS license.

So you must deploy more VMs.

Or use MAK (but in this case will not be supported).

Andre

Andrew | http://about.me/amauro | http://vinfrastructure.it/ | @Andrea_Mauro
tacticsbaby
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Thanks for all the useful information. My question now is: What happens after I use KMS licenses? Even though KMS licenses are managed within my network what happens when I use those all up from Recompose operations? Is there some way I recycle them or do they recycle on their own. Am I missing something? Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
tacticsbaby
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

How do I recycle the KMS licenses after they are used up? For example: suppose I have one liked clone pool with 50 VMs and 100 total licenses KMS. All of the VMs are activated. A new update comes out so I recompose my pool with this update. Now my license count is 0. What do I do now, even though I still only have 50 Win7 VMs yet I have used all my licenses? Is this realistic or am I missing something?

0 Kudos
AndreTheGiant
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

See: http://communities.vmware.com/thread/248839

Andre

Andrew | http://about.me/amauro | http://vinfrastructure.it/ | @Andrea_Mauro
0 Kudos
kgsivan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

A KMS host key can activate six KMS hosts with 10 activations per host. Each host can activate an unlimited number of computers. If you need additional KMS activations so you may activate more than 6 KMS hosts, find the telephone number for your Microsoft Activation Center to activate your KMS host.

The license count will be automatically reused, and as per my understanding there is no such limit. (The licencse count is dynamically maintainied )

Refer http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff793434.aspx

0 Kudos
tacticsbaby
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Thanks skg, I think that explains it. So what you are saying is that if I license a KMS host, that license gives me the ability to activate as many Windows 7 desktops as I want and that they license count is automatically refreshed? Am I understanding this correctly?

0 Kudos
kgsivan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Yes, You are right.

See this snip from Microsoft.

Activation Count Cache

To track the activation threshold, the KMS host keeps a record of the KMS client computers that request activation. The KMS host gives each KMS client computer a client machine identification (CMID) designation, and the KMS host saves each CMID in a table. Each activation request remains in the table for 30 days. When a client computer renews its activation, the cached CMID is removed from the table, a new record is created, and the 30-day period begins again. If a KMS client computer does not renew its activation within 30 days, the KMS host removes the corresponding CMID from the table and reduces the activation count by one.

The KMS host caches twice the number of CMIDs that KMS clients require to help ensure that the CMID count does not drop below the activation threshold. For example, on a network with client computers running Windows 7, the KMS activation threshold is 25, so the KMS host caches the CMIDs of the most recent 50 activations. The KMS activation threshold for Windows Server 2008 R2 is 5. A KMS host that is contacted only by KMS client computers running Windows Server 2008 R2 would cache the 10 most recent CMIDs. If a client computer running Windows 7 later contacts that KMS host, KMS increases the cache size to 50 to accommodate the higher threshold. KMS never reduces the cache size.

KMS does not limit the number of machines that activate, the FAQ Post states you can use the same key to cover multiple agreements and to activate those machines with the single Key. You don't have to add any licenses, since there is not limit in KMS.

Hope this clarifies.

-Siva

0 Kudos
tacticsbaby
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Thanks skg! That was the last piece that I was trying to understand and your last post makes it crystal clear. KMS is the way to go with View and linked clones. Might I say it seems like the only way for us to go. Thanks again!

0 Kudos
kgsivan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

And thanks for the award points, It granted me the "Expert" level Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
tacticsbaby
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Lol! Yes, I too noticed that. Congratulations. Glad to help you as you helped me. Thanks again.

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

We already knew you were a expert Smiley Happy

Sent from my iPhone

0 Kudos
tacticsbaby
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

This calls for a virtual beer!! Does anyone know if VMware has a product to address that?:smileysilly:

0 Kudos