VMware Horizon Community
GTMK
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Windows 7 in an automated desktop pool with linked clones?

Hi,

isn't it possible to set up an automated desktop pool with Windows 7 clients using linked clones? I am trying but I am not presented the snapshot of the Windows 7 machine... (I know it is only tech preview)

Thanks, Georg.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
psharp
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Since we are able create and use x64 VMs from within vCenter/ESX, you would expect everything to work regardless of the architecture. Now, I'm not claiming to have a deep understanding of how View Agent and Composer work here. However, since they are both required components for linked cloning and neither support x64 OSes, I am assuming there is some sort of incompatbility.

I realize I haven't given you a concrete answer as to why this doesn't work (and I might not I have one), but I'll throw out some other obvservations I've made. I already mentioned the View Agent USB driver doesn't work on x64. When testing linked clones on x64 OSes, I noticed I couldn't select any of the x64 desktops with snapshots. Out of curiosity, I created an empty Windows XP Professional x32 VM (with no OS), and took a snapshot. I then walked through the steps to created an automated pool, and was able to pickup the snapshot for the empty x32 XP VM. This told me that there are no checks on the actual OS for linked clones through composer. They must be performing a check on the stated "Guest OS" when you create the VM, and only allow x32 VMs to be used as parents for linked clones. I'm not sure if there is a difference in the virtual hardware in x32 XP vs x64 XP, but it may be worth creating a "Windows XP Professional (32-bit)" VM and installing XP (or Win 7) x64 just to see what happens.

If I get a chance to test this, I will post back. I'd be interested to hear what anyone else says, since I am very interested in getting x64 support as well.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
psharp
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Are the VMs running Win 7 x32 or x64? I've noticed in my testing that I cannot create linked clones of VMs running x64 versions of Windows XP.

GTMK
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes, it seems that linked clones do not work with x64 VMs. Why not?

0 Kudos
psharp
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Apparently, x64 client operating systems are not "supported." I have not found any documentation that explicitly states that a x64 OS is not supported. However, page 18 of the View Admin Guide (Table 1-1) only lists x32 clients.

I was able to get my XP x64 machines working as individual desktops within a manual pool, but I had to leave out the USB redirection driver when I installed the View Agent. Also, only RDP would work with my x64 VMs.

GTMK
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I realize that there is not a single reference to x64 systems in the entire View Admin Guide. Shouldn't the linked clone technology be independent not only of x86/x64 architecture but even work regardless of the underlying operation system?

Georg.

0 Kudos
psharp
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Since we are able create and use x64 VMs from within vCenter/ESX, you would expect everything to work regardless of the architecture. Now, I'm not claiming to have a deep understanding of how View Agent and Composer work here. However, since they are both required components for linked cloning and neither support x64 OSes, I am assuming there is some sort of incompatbility.

I realize I haven't given you a concrete answer as to why this doesn't work (and I might not I have one), but I'll throw out some other obvservations I've made. I already mentioned the View Agent USB driver doesn't work on x64. When testing linked clones on x64 OSes, I noticed I couldn't select any of the x64 desktops with snapshots. Out of curiosity, I created an empty Windows XP Professional x32 VM (with no OS), and took a snapshot. I then walked through the steps to created an automated pool, and was able to pickup the snapshot for the empty x32 XP VM. This told me that there are no checks on the actual OS for linked clones through composer. They must be performing a check on the stated "Guest OS" when you create the VM, and only allow x32 VMs to be used as parents for linked clones. I'm not sure if there is a difference in the virtual hardware in x32 XP vs x64 XP, but it may be worth creating a "Windows XP Professional (32-bit)" VM and installing XP (or Win 7) x64 just to see what happens.

If I get a chance to test this, I will post back. I'd be interested to hear what anyone else says, since I am very interested in getting x64 support as well.

0 Kudos