VMware Horizon Community
benjamin009
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Windows 7 creates temporary user in View? HELP!

I went through the VMware View Administrators guide and setup my Windows 7 parent image as they advised. I created a vCenter Linked-Clone set of 60 desktops through the automated pool and they are dedicated. So when a user logs in for the first time, VMview should assign them a desktop.

Well when users log into VMview for the first time, they receive a message saying "you have been logged on with a temporary profile". If you look in the system profiles you see a "temp" user profile and that's it.

Do I need to create every single user on the default image before deploying out the desktops? I have the parent image setup with just the local administrator account, and the domain administrator account added. I figured when the user logs in for the first time it would create their profiles and life would be good.

I need view to create the user's profile.... I have tried with my information (im a domain admin) and it does the same thing... HELP!!!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You can check under the HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList and see if the SID for your profile is listed under there. If it is delete it and try to logoff and logon to see if you get the correct profile.

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpful/Correct buttons to award points

Twitter: http://twitter.com/mittim12

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I've seen this before in a physical environment and it ended up being the AV was causing it. As a test can you remove whatever AV is on the machines and try it out?

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpful/Correct buttons to award points

0 Kudos
benjamin009
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Currently there is no AV installed on this image. Simply Windows7 with the most recent updates, Office 2010, and Adobe Reader.

I was looking on the guest OS and I did see a few system log errors:

Error 11/29/2010 10:36:16 AM User Profile Service 1515 None

Windows has backed up this user profile. Windows will automatically try to use the backup profile the next time this user logs on.

Error 11/29/2010 10:36:16 AM User Profile Service 1511 None

Windows cannot find the local profile and is logging you on with a temporary profile. Changes you make to this profile will be lost when you log off.

Error 11/29/2010 8:52:22 AM NETLOGON 3210 None

This computer could not authenticate with "domain controler", a Windows domain controller for domain "Domain", and therefore this computer might deny logon requests. This inability to authenticate might be caused by another computer on the same network using the same name or the password for this computer account is not recognized. If this message appears again, contact your system administrator.

I verified that the DC is up and functional.

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You can check under the HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList and see if the SID for your profile is listed under there. If it is delete it and try to logoff and logon to see if you get the correct profile.

0 Kudos
benjamin009
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes, I did find the user, removed the registry entry, rebooted, but they ultimately ended up losing everything on their profile Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Sorry to hear that.

0 Kudos
JimKirk
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi all,

I have the same problem, if the profile destination folder are setting in the User setting - profile panel in the Active Directory User & Computer.

To solve this program, use the folder redirection on Policy Manager.

bye

RodRomo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Good job Captain my Captain

We have an old script somewhere that occasionally sets profile location information in the AD... as soon as I read your reply I knew what my problem was.

LLAP

0 Kudos