VMware Horizon Community
Speedbmp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Windows 7 and View

has anybody got windows 7 to work with VMware View yet?

Stephen

0 Kudos
37 Replies
rpmello
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for the enhanced vmxnet driver tip... that has my VM no longer freezing (so far)

0 Kudos
BearHuntr
Contributor
Contributor

So, I've got my Win7 32 bit VM working great with the Enhanced VMXNet driver, installed the VMware Tools minus the SVGA driver, and installed the View Agent. However, when I go to add the VM in the View Administrator as an Individual Desktop, it can't find the VM in the Desktop Source Selection screen. How did anyone get this to work? I'm running View 3.1.2. Thanks!

0 Kudos
pjpg
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm not sure about your situation, I'm more experienced adding Windows 7 machines as Linked Clone Pools.

For those, after I create the snapshot, I find that powering the base machine back on helps it appear in the View Administrator.

Thanks,

...pjpg

Thanks, ...pjpg
0 Kudos
BearHuntr
Contributor
Contributor

We don't have View Premier, so no linked clones. Has anyone got Win7 to work with View as an Individual Desktop?

0 Kudos
John_Wiesner
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We have Windows 7 Enterprise (32-Bit) without hidden 100 MB partition up and running in view both as individual desktop and as linked clone but without single-sign-on.

0 Kudos
BearHuntr
Contributor
Contributor

John,

Did you have to do anything special to get it to show up when adding as an individual desktop? Thanks!

0 Kudos
Lupem
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

i am curently using View with Win7. We have had access to final version for a while due to licensing.Did you install the SCSI drivers when installing Win7? it runs great with 32 bit desktop instead of the the 24bit limit of XP. make sure tools are the first thing installed before anything else. View agent is the exact last thing you install before linking to the manager.

0 Kudos
pavelfl
Contributor
Contributor

Can you please post a step-by-step how you managed to add Windows 7 Enterprise x32 as an automated linked clone pool? I installed the machine without the 100MB partition, VM tools first and the agent last but still cannot see the golden image in the wizard... Is there any other trick to make it work?

Thanks a lot for the answer in advance!

0 Kudos
ckeithley360
Contributor
Contributor

I have windows 7 running in my virtual environment. Automatic pools and manual pools I can't see the VM or the snaps. I can however see it in individual view setup for access.

Is there a unique setting that needs to be made so my snap will show as available when i setup a automatic linked clone pool?

0 Kudos
pavelfl
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

thank you for your message. I am currently out of the office and will be back on 10/11/2009. In case of any urgency please contact ServiceDesk (ServiceDesk@MoraviaWorldWide.com, x333) or Michal Kopecny.

Best regards,

Pavel FLEK

0 Kudos
mikebarnett
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

View determines the guest OS by the OS type that you select for that VM in VC. It will not allow VMs designated as Windows 7 to be used in a pool as customization is not supported.

The View Agent is also not supported on Windows 7.

Mike

Twitter: @MikeBarnett_
0 Kudos
ckeithley360
Contributor
Contributor

Well pjpg has it working.

Also my guest os is set to Vista32, I have also tried Vista 64, I have also tried other. Since there is no Windows 7 listing. This link showed me where to change that where it should work.

http://blog.virtualarchitect.nl/2009/03/how-to-add-windows-7-to-vmware-view/ However it does show up in view just not for automatic linked clones. Whoever has that working would you mind please posting your settings on how you accomplished it?

Also the view agent is installed on my Windows 7 VM. This link gave me clues on how to fix this problem with the agent service errors. http://www.thinkvirt.com/?q=node/132 When the install halts where the service can't be started go to services.msc then find the view services, go to properties, then log on, then set the service to log on with a account that had domain administrative rights create a special service account if you need to. Then hit retry on the install and it will complete.

Hopefully this information will help someone else along also.

I'm just looking for the last piece of my puzzle.

0 Kudos
mikebarnett
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Interesting.

When you installed the Agent on the desktop and it showed you the components to install was the View Composer agent listed?

Mike

Twitter: @MikeBarnett_
0 Kudos
ckeithley360
Contributor
Contributor

Yes it was and is. Here is a screenshot.

0 Kudos
pjpg
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

One trick that I think helps, after taking the snapshot I power the base machine back on.

I find that after powering the base machine back on it can be seen in the view manager pages.

Thanks,

...pjpg

Thanks, ...pjpg
0 Kudos
ckeithley360
Contributor
Contributor

Well after letting it sit overnight and coming in to work on it this a.m. When I was going to add my Vista Linked Clone desktops in, low and behold the Win7 snap was showing as available. Needless to say I was stoked. Don't know why there was a delay but I was able to create my linked clone Windows 7 pool. I'm off to continue modifying my image now that it works and will recompose.

Thanks for the responses and to the community.

0 Kudos
PNE
Contributor
Contributor

We have Windows 7 working on ESX 3.5.0 153875, View 4 233023

Issues having new machines appear in View 4 deskop pools:

As there is no Guest OS setting for Win7 we start with it listed as WinXP.

Do not add View4 agent until you have joined VM to domain and renamed appropriately.

At first we can not 'see' the VM to add to the pool.

However if we migrate the VM from one host server to another and change Guest OS listing from WinXP to Vista or back and forth, it seems to trigger something to enable the VM to appear in View 4 Manager.

0 Kudos
MKrantz
Contributor
Contributor

Did you ever find the resolution to this?

0 Kudos