VMware Horizon Community
Speedbmp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Windows 7 and View

has anybody got windows 7 to work with VMware View yet?

Stephen

0 Kudos
37 Replies
corihoni
Contributor
Contributor

I tried but it didn't work yet... The Snapshot is always unvisible in the View Manager task for adding a new pool (with composer).

0 Kudos
kgbecker
Contributor
Contributor

This appears to happen with VMware View Manager 3.0 only.

Try the recently released VMware View Manager 3.01.

This worked for me, the VM is now available to be addedd to a desktop pool.

Best regards

Klaus

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Officially it isn't supported at this time, but I've also got it working. Just install the agent in the VM and add the desktop as individual machine to the broker

0 Kudos
Speedbmp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

it's strange i am running 3.0.1 and still no joy. i've tried to use it as a physical machine, i've also tried as an individual VM.

the Windows 7 is part of our domain, everything works on it from the console.

Stephen

0 Kudos
PhilT21
Contributor
Contributor

Are you using Windows 7 RC or the Beta? RC is working fine with me, but it has some issues with redrawing the screen. If you move the window, it forces a refresh, but if not, the display doesn't change.

PTODD

0 Kudos
Speedbmp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

this is with the Beta and not RC, i have not tried RC yet.

Stephen

0 Kudos
pjpg
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I've tried Windows 7 RC, and the virutal machine appears to hang just after drawing the flag on the startup screen.

I've tired:

32bit

64 bit

Windows 2008 server | failed | failed |

Vista Settings | failed | failed |

...pjpg

Thanks, ...pjpg
0 Kudos
lbourque
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

How much memory (assigned and reserved) and how many CPUs?

Want make a difference in the future of VMware Products? Feature request your ideas ( )!

0 Kudos
pjpg
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

In all my tests I set the Virutal Machine to 4GB Ram, and 1 CPU.

...pjpg

Thanks, ...pjpg
0 Kudos
Speedbmp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I also have some Issues with the RC when installing it, it would hang when booting some times.

Stephen

0 Kudos
PhilT21
Contributor
Contributor

I had the issues when booting the RC as well, but as soon as I got the vmwre tools installed and did a "reset", all was well. My machines are configured with 1GB, and 10GB Hard Disk and is SMOKING fast! I am running it in my production environment and have kicked Vista to the curb.

PTODD

0 Kudos
pjpg
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks, installing VMware tools first does appear to have helped.

Do you have you windows 7 machines available under VMware View? Automated pool? Manual pool?

...pjpg

Thanks, ...pjpg
0 Kudos
PhilT21
Contributor
Contributor

I haven't setup any Windows 7 pools yet. I only setup a couple of Individual VM's.

PhilT21

0 Kudos
amillican
Contributor
Contributor

I tried setting up a linked clone pool for Windows 7 RC and I couldn't because of the 100 MB system partition that Windows sets up automatically. Linked clones can't have more than one partition so it failed. I tried setting Windows up without the 100 MB partition, but it adds it automatically. Anyone know how to bypass that?

0 Kudos
lbourque
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Check out this link: different forum

I suspect the steps and suggestions here can help on how to remove the bitlocker partition.

Want make a difference in the future of VMware Products? Feature request your ideas ( )!

0 Kudos
pjpg
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Looks like a winning combination to me.

1) use DISKPART to prevent the Bit-locker partition from being created.

2) Install VMware tools during the first desktop session.

and I have an automatic linked clone pool running.

...pjpg

Thanks, ...pjpg
0 Kudos
pjpg
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The best part of declaring victory is how quickly it turns to defeat.

Today, none of my Windows 7 RC machines will boot under VMware. They all hang during the boot process.

...pjpg

Thanks, ...pjpg
0 Kudos
Speedbmp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

well i also tried to spin up my Windows 7 and it also does not boot anymore.. it looks like it locks up on the view driver part but i could be wrong.

Stephen

0 Kudos
pjpg
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Changing the network adapter from E1000 to Enhanced VMXNET appears to resovle all my boot time problems.

My next "Learning Oppertunity" is trying to understand why both VMware View and Remote Desktop Connection require the credentials be typed into the windows 7 host.

I've been experimenting first with RDC requiring the 2nd set of credentials and found that the moment I join the Windows 7 desktop to my domain its stops accepting the credentials passed in from the client.

...pjpg

Thanks, ...pjpg
0 Kudos