VMware Horizon Community
cshells
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Windows 7 Sysprep Help

So I have never used sysprep, nor used it with View. I wanted to make sure I understand everything correctly.

So we are going to deploy linked clones in View 5.1, with Windows 7 and we need unique SIDs for software purpose.

On our golden image I should run the sysprep file installed in Win 7. Is there anything I need to upload into View or vCenter? I am more confused at the screen where you pick quickprep or sysprep and it has options in sysprep to use files. Are those just for answer files?

I googled and couldn't find a good guide to go through all this.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

You don't run sysprep on the golden image as I've seen where that causes all kinds of issues.    Instead when you create the pool you pick the sysprep option and then a cusotmization specification.   If your not familiar with customization specification it's what vCenter uses when you deploy a VM from a template to populate certain information.    The sysprep files would have to be loaded toa particular location in vCenter.    Check out this link for that information, http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1005593

0 Kudos
cshells
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

So if I don't run sysprep on the golden image, will it still create a unique SID for each desktop?

So basically I need to extract the .cab file for the win 7 sysprep, then load it onto the vcenter server? Also if done this way doi need to create an answer file so I don't have to run through the setup of each desktop?

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

cshells wrote:

So if I don't run sysprep on the golden image, will it still create a unique SID for each desktop?

So basically I need to extract the .cab file for the win 7 sysprep, then load it onto the vcenter server? Also if done this way doi need to create an answer file so I don't have to run through the setup of each desktop?

It will only create unique SID if you choose the Sysprep option when creating your pool. 

Your customization specification that you create in vCenter will server as your answer file.

0 Kudos