VMware Horizon Community
mdpv3
Contributor
Contributor

Windows 7 Linked Clone on VMware View 4.6 - Customizing

I am attempting to setup a LC pool that would present Windows 7 desktops.  The deployment is successful, however, the VMs stick on "Set Up Windows".  The "Set Up Windows" requires that you access the country, time, keyboard layout.  It then ask for username and pwd.  Is there a way to bypass this information?  The only thing I'm looking to do is to is rename the VMs to their place holder, join to domain, and that is it.  Once renaimed and join to the domain, AD handles the rest.  Any ideaS?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

Did you sysprep your parent image before you shut it down?   If you did that might be causing this issue as the Sysprep isn't really needed.   The quick prep part of View and linked clones can handle all of this.

0 Kudos
mdpv3
Contributor
Contributor

I did not use sysprep.  Quickprep is the only thing I am using.   It does appear to be renaming the VMs.  However, I cannot seem to get past this welcome screen.

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

Are you using a KMS server for licensing and if not how do you license?     When you created the snapshot image what steps did you take?  

0 Kudos
mdpv3
Contributor
Contributor

I have a Windows 7 Template the is a base install.  Each time I boot it, it goes directly into windows.  I shut the box down and created a snapshot of it.  I then create the pool and point to the customization file.  In the file, the following settings are set:

Name: User

Organization: CompanyName

ComputerName: <VIrtual Machine Name>

License Mode: Per Seat

Administrator Password: *****

Auto Login Count: 1

Timezone (GMT-0600_ Chicago, Dallas, Kansas City)

Network Typical

Join Domain: Domainname.com

domain users: domainname.com\administrator

Generate new SID true

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

Ok so you are using sysprep for the pool.   I would create a new pool and choose the quick prep option instead of sysprep for testing.    

0 Kudos
mdpv3
Contributor
Contributor

crap.. you are right.  After I slowed down a bit.. i realized that....crap...

Do you know of any good reference sites for quickprep scripting?  I'm trying to do the twothings:

1. Rename os to vm name

2. join to domain in specific ou

I know it can be done.. but i have no clue.

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

Once you enable a pool with quickprep then it will handle those items.   There will be a browser where you can select what AD OU the VM is placed in.  

0 Kudos