VMware Horizon Community
VSprague
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Windows 7 Desktops sit at Customizing/Please Wait

I just built a new View parent and I'm trying to deploy it in a new pool. I setup the pool and started provisioning. Everything started moving along properly but now the desktops stop at the "Please Wait" screen while booting up and won't progress past that. I'm unable to get into the machine to see what the event log says. Any one have any ideas?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
joshodgers
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Some times this can be caused by the DHCP scope running out of IP addresses, and the View agent cant communicate to the View servers, or if the master template had a static IP set and you forget to change it to DHCP and perform an "ipconfig /release" prior to shutdown, as all the desktops will have IP address conflicts and prevent customizing from completing.

Hope that helps

Josh Odgers | VCDX #90 | Blog: www.joshodgers.com | Twitter @josh_odgers
0 Kudos
VSprague
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Nope, it's not the DHCP scope and I always do an ipconfig /release. I contacted VMWare support and they could not tell me anything besides "there is a problem with the parent". I ended up building another parent and wasting the rest of my day.

0 Kudos
joshodgers
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Ok, I have seen a few times where VM Tools and/or the View Agent appears to be installed but customizing fails, a reinstall of either or helped on those occasions.

Sorry to hear you had to build another VM.

I would suggest a manual sysprep of the original VM, then restart it, shut down, snapshot then deploy would probably solve the issue failing the VM Tools/Agent reinstalls for future reference.

0 Kudos
VSprague
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I tried that at as well, reinstalled the agent and vmware tools twice.

0 Kudos
joshodgers
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

out of curiosity, did you uninstall/reinstall, or reinstall ie: Repair

In the past I have found both have worked but a repair more intermitently.

0 Kudos
VSprague
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I did a full remove, I would uninstall the agent, then tools. Reintall tools and then install the agent again. No change, I rebuilt the other vm identically to the old one and it works so I'm at a loss.

0 Kudos