VMware Horizon Community
mclark
Expert
Expert

Windows 7 Aero with View 4.6

I upgraded my View 4.5 infrastructure to 4.6, and also my vSphere infrastructure from 4.1 to 4.1 U1. I also updated the VMware tools on the Windows 7 guest. I have a Wyse C90LE7 thin client (with Windows 7 Embedded) for testing. My understanding was that Aero would work when using an underlying Windows 7 thin client. I tried PCOIP and Aero did not work, but I then researched and found out that it should not work at this time. I then tried RDP, because I read that this *should* work, but it would not show the Aero effects either. I'm wondering how I can determine why I can't get Aero effects on my virtual desktop. I checked the thin client and it does have Aero effects when using just the native desktop, so I know the hardware support is there.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

What version of Windows 7 are you running? Aero with RDP is only supported with Enterprise or Ultimate editions.

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
mclark
Expert
Expert

My virtual desktops are Win 7 Enterprise.

0 Kudos
mclark
Expert
Expert

Ok, so this turned out to be something I had done. When I started to build my View client environment with Windows 7 I followed a guide that said to set the color depth of RDP sessions to 24 bit for performance. While I was poking around trying to figure this out I remembered that I had done that, so I unset the option, and when I re-connected with a 32-bit color depth, Aero was working.

0 Kudos