VMware Horizon Community
trapspeed
Contributor
Contributor

Windows 7 64-bit linked clones not joining domain.

I currently am running ESX 4.1 with VMView 4.5.  I have been successful in creating linked clones and desktop pools for 30+ Windows 7 32-bit guest OSes (both persistent and non-persistent) and had them automatically join to our Active Directory domain.  I've just created a Windows 7 64-bit VM, ran a snapshot and linked it to a desktop pool.  It successfully creates a linked clone, however it fails to completely join the VM to the domain.  The VM shows up in our OU, but the VM itself does not reflect this change.  VMWare View shows a status of "Customizing" and it stays that way for an indefinite period of time.  Any thoughts on what's causing this or if Windows 7 64-bit is supported?  thanks.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
pcerda
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi,
The linked clones are capable to acquire a dynamic IP address???
Check out if the linked clones have IP address and if they are capable to ping to Domain Controller.
Regards / Saludos - Patricio Cerda - vExpert 2011 / 2012 / 2013
0 Kudos
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

64 bit is supported. Just make sure that the DHCP IP (with the right DNS) being given out is able to ping the domain (as per enter in the quickprep)

0 Kudos
trapspeed
Contributor
Contributor

Yes the hosts are able to ping the domain controller and network settings on the VMs are set properly.  I know that our domain controller can respond with the VMs because the acutal computer object gets added to the OU.  It's like the domain controller acknowledges that the computer exists on the domain, but the VMs themselves still think they are part of a workgroup.  It's like a process is stuck somewhere and for whatever reason the VMs just doesn't reflect the membership of the domain.

0 Kudos
mediawide
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

hi,

try to add host entry as per your domain name with IP. after that try to Connect Domin.

Thanks

Dugesh

0 Kudos
commando14
Contributor
Contributor

We are experiencing the same problem with Windows 7 64 bit linked clones.  If I look in the NetSetup.log it shows it's trying to join the domain with the same name as the parent VM, and it tries to authenticate using the parent VM computer account name, which fails with invalid credentials.  I will try with Windows 7 32 bit and see what happens.

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

I have moved this thread in the VMware View forum.

0 Kudos
iamxCPx
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi.

Do you have an update on this?

I'm about to deploy Win 7 Enterprise 64-bit but now hesitant to do it after reading your problem.

Now I wonder if deploying Win 7 32-bit is better than 64-bit on a view environment?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
npeter
Expert
Expert

Hi,

Few questions here

Are you able to join these clones to domain manually?

Do you have find any network driver installation prompted when you login to this clones using VI client?

Do you have vmware tools installed on the master VM?

Also make sure you have correct customization specification.

What i believe is that adding machine entry to domain is done by view, and is done before the clones are created.

Thanks

Noble

-nObLe
0 Kudos
trapspeed
Contributor
Contributor

Hi everyone,

Sorry I should have posted earlier.  I did manage to find the problem and embarassing as it is...I forgot to install the VMWare View Agent on the master VM image.  I had everything else set correctly but completely overlooked the agent itself.  Now all of my provisioned VMs are joining the domain properly.  Thanks everyone for your feedback and apologize for the delay in response.

0 Kudos