VMware Horizon Community
aaronb123
Contributor
Contributor

Windows 2008 R2 as guest OS for View Deployment

Hi,

I have been given the mandate to design a View deployment and one of the requirements is Windows 2008 R2 Server as the guest OS. I've done plenty of Windows 7 and yes even Vista View deployments but never a Windows 2008 R2 as guest OS on View.

From what I can determine, it appears to be a supported config:

http://pubs.vmware.com/view-50/topic/com.vmware.ICbase/PDF/view-50-installation.pdf

Page 13

So, my question is, using Windows 2008 R2 are there any differences or things that I need to know versus a typical Windows 7 Guest?

I understand the services that need to be tweaked in the Windows 2008 R2 will be different than Windows 7. But anything beyond that?

Automatic provisioning in pools, the same? etc

Thanks!

PS. The Windows 2008 R2 requirement is for a team of developers... dont ask. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

from my understanding, and I could be wrong, Server OS's are only supported in a View enviornment if you are using them as Connection/Security Servers. So, to be in compliance, if you are not building this W2K8 R2 guests as a Connection/Security Server it needs to be built in a non a different enviornment.

mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

2008 can be used as a guest if your running in terminal server mode.   See supported operating systems for agent here, http://pubs.vmware.com/view-50/index.jsp?topic=/com.vmware.view.administration.doc/GUID-E20AE465-040...

aaronb123
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Troy,

This was my understanding as well. But it begs the question, why officially support the Server OS with the View Agent, as listed on page 13 of the install guide?

0 Kudos
aaronb123
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

It might be that I havent had my full dose of caffeine this morning, but if I install Term Services on the guest but do not use it, would I then be "legal"?

Thanks

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

I would think so but if you install Terminal Services and then RDP into the server then in essence you are using Terminal Services.    

0 Kudos