VMware Horizon Community
knkty
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Windows 10 x64 InstantClones Search function breaks.

Hi,

We have a problem with Windows 10 x64 image.

Actually everything is normal until i publish it to the clients. Search bar does not work. Sometimes you can type sometimes can't and when you can type it does not find anything and closes. Even if you type something to run like services.msc or cmd.exe it takes ages to open the window. When i check the processes everything is normal.

I tried to create it maybe 8 times with different variations.(followed different documents, select/deselect different boxes when optimizing, etc)

But when i logon with my user everything works perfect. The different is i am the domain admin. We use mandatory profile.

We have already working users with 32bit without any problems. Trying to create 64bit for tech and accounting departments and i am doing the same things when i created 32bit image.

I follow this link Creating an Optimized Windows Image for a VMware Horizon Virtual Desktop | VMware

Environment :

Horizon 7.7

Uem 9.7

App Volumes 2.16 (Profile only)

Linked Clones (Refresh)

Windows 10 Ent. 1809 / OS Build 17763.720

Clients use teradici zero clients

What i did;

Used different optimization templates

Selected or deselected Search related boxes

Tried without optimizing

Deleted users\administrator\appdata\local\microsoft\windows\caches folder

Created 8 different win10 x64 images(1703,1709,1803,1809 etc.)

Tried 4 different user account (they can use 32bit with no problem)

Removed and not removed Windows Appxpackages

Any ideas?

Thank you

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Raywire
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

We fixed this issue in our environment by deleting the following from the Default User profile folder:

C:\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WebCacheLock.dat

C:\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WebCache\*.*

C:\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache\*.*

Source: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Windows-10-deployment/Windows-10-start-menu-problems-and-copy...

Hope this helps with your issue.

Regards,

Raymond

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Was it helpful? Let us know by completing this short survey here.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Raywire
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

We have the same issue. As a workaround we turned off User Account Control completely with Registry Editor and after reboot Search worked again.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System\EnableLUA -> Set to 0

Kind regards,

Raymond

0 Kudos
Raywire
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

We fixed this issue in our environment by deleting the following from the Default User profile folder:

C:\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WebCacheLock.dat

C:\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WebCache\*.*

C:\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache\*.*

Source: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Windows-10-deployment/Windows-10-start-menu-problems-and-copy...

Hope this helps with your issue.

Regards,

Raymond

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Was it helpful? Let us know by completing this short survey here.

0 Kudos
knkty
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Raywire,

Thanks for the response.

I did your fixes and now it works.

I deleted the folders and file from the default profile but it did not work. Deleted from the administrator profile did the trick.

I did it on the master image and took a snapshot but when a user logs on folders are created again. I connected remotely to c:\ drive and deleted folders and file manually and immediately search and other functions started to work as expected. Next user logon or reboot, shutdown did not change the behavior. It saves with the user profile.

Thanks again.