VMware Horizon Community
HendersonD
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Windows 10 slow login

We have been running Window 7 using View for several years. It takes about 35 seconds to login to a Win7 desktop

I am working on building a master image for Window 10 but found logins to be very slow. We are running View 6.2.1 under ESXi 5.5 Update 2.

Here is what I have done

1. Installed Windows 10, 32 bit, build 1511 which is the latest available for download
  2. Ran Windows updates and installed all available
  3. 1 vCPU and 2GB of RAM. This is the same resources that we use under Win7
  4. Ran the optimization tool found here taking all the defaults
    VMware OS Optimization Tool – VMware Labs
  5. Took a snapshot, made a new pool with just 2 desktops
  6. Login times are 1:50, more than a minute longer than Win7. When someone logs in it says "Preparing Windows" then you get the "We're Happy You're Here" followed by a few more messages and finally the desktop appears

I then just went to the vSphere client, got a console session to one of the desktops, logged in (which took 1:50), logged off, and logged back in again, it took about 35 seconds. In other words, logging in the second time cuts login time significantly. Of course a desktop will only realize you have logged in before if it is a persistent desktop. Using a console session in the client to login twice does not refresh the desktop. We use non-persistent desktops so they are refreshed after each log off.

Any ideas how to speed up logins?

Is Windows 10 under View just not a good choice?

Would things improve under ESXi 6.0 Update 2? We are upgrading to the newest version of vSphere in about 2 weeks

26 Replies
ArnoM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If not done already, maybe you can try the Start Menu and Profile options listed here: https://4sysops.com/archives/improving-windows-10-logon-time/

Please also note, the OneDrive setup executable is in the default user registry key, so this will always be automatically installed with each logon. (Thanks Microsoft)

This applies also for Windows 10 LTSB.

See: How to prevent OneDrive Setup prompt after first Log-In

Blog: https://arnomeijroos.com/ Twitter: @ACMeijroos
0 Kudos
PCTechStream
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Check my VDI lab login time with Windows 10 at : ITCloudStream.com  It takes about 30 seconds or less to login depending on your network connection.

I put a lot of hours and even days on this golden image. You need to run the  "VMware OS Optimization Tool" more than once and also Google for:

- VMware Horizon View – Windows 10 Golden Image Creation

- Decrapifying Windows 10

- How-to-uninstall-and-remove-HERE YOU TYPE THE APP NAME-in-windows-10

Login info for my VDI: Username: vg-1 - Password: Passw0rd

You can always use vg-1  vg-2  vg-3  vg-4  vg-5 with the same Password!

If anyone else is interesting to check..

Windows 10 Pro - 32 BIT, vSphere 6.0, Horizon 6.1.1

2 vCPU

3 GB RAM

20 GB HDD

NO SSD

Smiley Happy Good Luck!

Raul..

www.ITSA.Cloud
0 Kudos
DSigmond
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You might consider the following when using Windows 10 as a VDI OS

- Windows 10 LTSB (No new feature updates, only security, No Cortana, Store, Edge and Store Apps)

- Consider a mandatory profile (https://blogs.vmware.com/euc/2017/01/vmware-user-environment-manager-mandatory-profiles-part-1.html)

- When using UEM for profile management, use direct flex as much as possibe to reduce logon times.

- Use VMware OS Optimization tool like already mentioned in other replies. There is also a public template coming from LoginVSI with #VDILIKEAPRO https://labs.vmware.com/flings/vmware-os-optimization-tool

- Remove OneDrive setup

- Check registry for RUN and Active Setup items

Good luck!

Markansas
Contributor
Contributor

Here's something I've noticed recently - the Windows 10 Start Menu is hosed, exhibiting the same thing you mention, you can see the icons, but they are unclickable.

Turns out that for us, UEM is the culprit. I was able to solve this by DISABLING the Windows Explorer setting in UEM. Yes: UEM default config is somehow gakking Windows 10 start menu - by default. So, by default, I now pretty much disable most of the user environment stuff in UEM and stick to ADMX template method of customizations.

0 Kudos
i_fdez
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I don't know if you're using Persona Management.

With Windows 10, I've noticed if I redirect the AppData folder, login times increases dramatically, from 30-40 seconds to more than 100 seconds.

Diablosonans
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for this. I have been struggling with logon times ranging from 100 to 150 seconds lately.  I noticed that a group of users i tested that had no redirected folders logged in a lot quicker, so i was already suspecting redirecting to be the culprit, and when i removed appdata from being redirected, login dropped to 25-29 seconds. This on Horizon version 7.11, W10 1909.

The random login times could be due to difference in size and amount of files under appdata for the various profiles.

zhornsby
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

i quite redirecting appdata as well and i shaved 20 seconds. have by chance tested 1909 with dual monitors? in my environment im seeing 30+ seconds added to my logins when a user has two monitors on 1909

0 Kudos