VMware Horizon Community
orddie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Windows 10 profiles

Hi all!

We are in the process of upgrading our windows 7 environment to windows 10, 1903.

we notice in windows 7 that the profile shows as roaming.  We do not use GPO settings for roaming profiles but do use persona feature set of the Horizon agent to manage both windows 7 and 10 VDI profiles.  Physical desktops do not use roaming settings.

we notice a few things are not saved / honored after a logoff / logon process is completed. Things like default browser and custom dictionary settings are not honored and rest after the user logs in.  

We confirmed the settings are synced to the file share.   My gut tells me this has to do with windows not showing the profile as roamed.  

is anyone using horizon with windows 10 and showing the profile as roaming?

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Mickeybyte2
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hello,

Probably not the answer you want to hear, but we are in the same situation. So far the only certainty we have is that Persona (which are in fact roaming profiles, except that Horizon is managing them instead of Windows) and Windows 10 do not play well together! And even if you get it working with lots of tweaks in version 1703, you can start all over for version 1809, ...

Currently setting up test environments with UEM/DEM and/or FSLogix Containers in stead...

Michiel.

Regards, Michiel.
0 Kudos
larstr
Champion
Champion

orddie,

Have you checked that the Microsoft Software Shadow Copy Provider Service is running?

Lars

0 Kudos
orddie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes and we see the service syncing all the user settings per the GPO configured sync interval

however, when the user logs in again, all personal settings are reset

I think this has to do with profiles not being marked as roaming

0 Kudos
Mickeybyte2
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Orddie,

Had to search for it a while, but I had this problem too. Default browser was always lost for the users. Finally I found a GPO by accident (really, by reading gpo settings one by one until I found something interesting...):

Computer configuration

- Policies

-- Administrative Templates

--- Windows Components / File Explorer

---- Do not reinitialize a pre-existing roamed user profile when it is loaded on a machine for the first time

When setting this policy to enabled, the default browser was retained.

(Still wondering why M$ would reinitialize an existing profile anyway...)

Hope this helps you.

Michiel.

Regards, Michiel.
0 Kudos
MrCheesecake
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If possible, I would strongly consider moving to UEM/DEM prior to making the switch from Win7 to Win10.  Although I suspect there's a documented process to manage the difference between the v2 and v6 profiles, it was seamless to have UEM maintain the application/OS settings regardless of which OS users log in to.

orddie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We found that a few weeks ago and sadly the setting did not solve the issue.

0 Kudos
orddie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

UEM?

DEM?

i do not know what that stands for.

0 Kudos
Mickeybyte2
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

UEM = User Environment Manager, which has been changed in the last version to Dynamic Environment Manager.

It's a VMWare product that helps you manage User settings in a much better way than Persona.

Michiel.

Regards, Michiel.
0 Kudos
orddie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Reason I did not know if this is due to our license.   We are not enterprise.

guessing we gotta do microsoft roaming profiles.

0 Kudos
Mickeybyte2
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Orddie,

UEM/DEM is available as seperate addon also, if Enterprise is to expensive.

You might also look at FSLogix profile containers from Microsoft (it's included with your RDS/VDI license)

Michiel.

Regards, Michiel.
0 Kudos
nary4484
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I've been fighting this for awhile.  I can get Persona working in 7.4 but not above that.  Frustrating. 

0 Kudos
nary4484
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Have you tried the FSLogix profile solution?  Heard about it awhile back... might consider using it.

0 Kudos