VMware Horizon Community
RachelW
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Windows 10 instant clone desktop and O365 with UEM

We are in the process of getting Windows 10 and O365 setup and working with UEM in our environment.  The Windows 10 image has been built with O365 and now I am looking to get UEM setup for O36 just like we did with Office 2010, Chrome and other applications.

Is there a config file for O365 available to import into UEM?  We already have Teams setup and working on our Windows 7 Horizon desktops with the Teams config file imported into UEM. Hoping and wondering if things are the same with O365.

Looking for recommendations and help on getting UEM setup with O365 configuration.

Thank you!

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
18 Replies
nburton935
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Have you tried using the Office 2016 templates? I believe this works for O365 apps.

0 Kudos
RachelW
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

No, I have not.  where do I find the Office 2016 templates?

0 Kudos
nburton935
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

In UEM, create config file, select Use An Application Template, and choose Office 2016:

Screen Shot 2020-09-17 at 11.23.43 AM.png

It will use pre-built settings in the template, so you won't see any specific keys or paths defined, but you can see that it references a template in the import/export tab:

Screen Shot 2020-09-17 at 11.24.16 AM.png

0 Kudos
RachelW
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

OK thank you.

So I created the config file for Office 2016 but there is nothing in the Import/Export tab. Should there be?

Forgive my ignorance, I am not an expert with UEM. 🙂

UEM-Office2016_template.jpg

0 Kudos
nburton935
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

That is sort of a binary config file - you will see that it says it "references an application template" so it has built-in import/export policies.

If you want to display them all, you can hit Manage > Expand on the right-hand side, which will basically convert it into a standard config file.

0 Kudos
RachelW
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Oh wow!  There is a lot of stuff there. 🙂  No to determine what to add/remove....

Thank you!

0 Kudos
RachelW
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

So in the UEM config file for Office 2016, I noticed that the applications do not show up like they do for the Office 2010 UEM config file (see below).  This may not make any difference but just curious as to why that might be.

UEM-Config.jpg

0 Kudos
nburton935
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

When the admin console detects a blank configuration, you get an "Easy Start" button that populates your version of Office in those formats. You likely did this for only 2010.

Screen Shot 2020-09-17 at 2.56.31 PM.png

If you wish to have it in the same format, create a new temporary blank configuration, run the Easy Start with 2016, and copy the 2016 config folder to your production location. Refresh the tree and it will show up in that format.

0 Kudos
RachelW
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Wow, I did not realize you could setup another Temporary blank configuration.  This might be helpful for testing a new Horizon desktop pool with UEM. 

Dumb question...how do I create a new temporary blank configuration in UEM?

I really appreciate your help with this!

0 Kudos
nburton935
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

If your current UEM config share is \\server\share\uem\general - create a new temp\general path, such as \\server\share\uem\temp\general

Then, in top-left of UEM Console, select the circular menu button and hit Configure Environments. Click Add and add the \\server\share\uem\temp path.

Back to the circular menu, hit Switch Environment and go to your temp configuration. It will be a blank config. You'll see the Easy Start button now since it is a brand new config.

Yes, UEM policies are user-based, so you can filter your GPOs and map UEM configs to user groups. This is common practice to separate your use cases out by UEM configs.

0 Kudos
RachelW
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

So I created this temp folder and once I clicked ok to create the folder my UEM Management Console switched to the new test environment.  When I click on the circular menu and attempt to go to Switch Environment, it is grayed out.  Now I don't know how to get to my regular environment.... 😞

0 Kudos
nburton935
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Sounds like you edited the location of your environment versus creating a net new one. Go back to Configure Environments and add your production environment versus editing the existing one. This should cause the Switch Environments button to light up. 

0 Kudos
RachelW
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Whew....got it.  Thank you!

0 Kudos
RachelW
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

"Yes, UEM policies are user-based, so you can filter your GPOs and map UEM configs to user groups. This is common practice to separate your use cases out by UEM configs. "

This is great.  So after enabling our GPO to run UEM for the Windows 10 desktop I noticed an increase in login time of about 2 minutes (+ or -).  My next task is to find out what is taking so long and looking for some help with that.   Since this conversation is supposed to be windows 10, O365 and UEM should I create a new conversation for the long login times with UEM?

Thank you for all of your help!

0 Kudos
nburton935
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Do you have a logging location enabled in your policy? Usually just put the same location as the UEM profile location under %username%\logs\flexengine.log. It will line-by-line tell you how long each setting takes to import. Do you have high throughput and low latency between the virtual desktops and UEM share?

How large is the UEM profile? Do you have Outlook cached mode disabled? I would start by disabling all UEM personalization settings and only enable what is truly needed.

0 Kudos
RachelW
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes, we do have a logging location enabled.  In my log file (attached) I see a 2 minute processing time to import the Internet Explorer.zip file which contains cookies and favorites (see below).

2020-09-18 13:22:03.536 [INFO ] Importing profile archive 'Internet Explorer.zip' (\\UEM01\UEMProfiles\iswulr\Archives\Windows Settings\Internet Explorer.zip)

2020-09-18 13:22:08.147 [DEBUG] ImportRegistry::Import: Calling '"C:\Windows\REGEDIT.EXE" /S "C:\Users\iswulr\AppData\Local\Temp\FLXF101.tmp"' (RPAL: l=0 (F/E), r=0)

2020-09-18 13:22:59.903 [DEBUG] Extracting and importing registry information took 4737 ms

The flex config for Internet Explorer is below.  My biggest question is why would we include cookies and favorites? (This was setup before "my time.") 🙂

# This Flex config file references the built-in "Internet Explorer - Personal settings"
# Windows Common Setting.

# Personal settings for Internet Explorer will be imported at logon and exported at logoff.

#
# Expanded settings for Windows Common Setting 'Internet Explorer':
#
[IncludeRegistryTrees]
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\IdentityCRL
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MenuOrder\Favorites
HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings

[IncludeFolderTrees]
<Cookies>
<Favorites>

[ExcludeFiles]
<Favorites>\desktop.ini
<Favorites>\links\desktop.ini

We also redirecting Favorites folder (see below):

2020-09-18 13:21:45.773 [INFO ] Successfully redirected 'Favorites' folder to '\\UEM01\home\%username%\Favorites' ('Home Profile.xml')

Do we need to do both of them?

0 Kudos
RachelW
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

So, I've resolved the issue with the increase in time to "process" UEM.  It is now taking only a few seconds to go through the UEM settings.

Additionally, I've created a UEM Test environment for my Windows10 desktops.  Along with that I was able to create an Office 2016 template and now I am in the process of getting that all configured. My first task is to get the Outlook account information to be captured and saved in UEM after the initial login and setup of O365 Outlook.  Currently the Import/Export tab for Outlook 2016 is blank.  I am guessing I need something there to capture and save this information. Would someone be able to point me in the direction of what I would need there?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
RachelW
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Looking for some input on the O365 Outlook configuration.  Right now each time I login to a desktop I am prompted to setup Outlook. What needs to be setup in UEM to capture these settings?

0 Kudos