VMware Horizon Community
MSchaff
Contributor
Contributor

Windows 10 Template Sysprep Question

Hello,

I'm in the process of setting up a Windows 10 template for some full desktop clone Horizon users.  I've created a baseline VM, added my preferred applications to it (Adobe reader, etc) and ran the Optimization tool.  I activated the machine, set the swap file size, did the disk cleanup, etc.  As I wanted to have a known condition for the VM before running Sysprep, I powered down my vm at this point, and cloned it to a new VM (let's call it Stage 2).   I then powered up the new Stage 2 VM and ran the Sysprep command, selecting the OOBE, and clicked the Generalize option.

Next I cloned the Stage 2 VM to a template, and created a new VM (VDITest6) from the template.  At this point, I didn't use a customization script, as I wanted to make sure everything worked outside of Horizon.

When I powered up the VDITest6 VM, it came up to the screen which combines the region, keyboard type, time zone, etc prompts, which was great.  However, when I clicked Next, it brought me to a "Why did my pc restart" screen.  Clicking Next restarted the machine, and the usual "Welcome to Windows 10" screen came up, asking for a location, then a secondary keyboard, then Cortana, then my preferences for notification, etc.

I haven't done this process before, so I'm wondering if the above procedure is typical.  Given that the "Why did my pc restart" screen came up, I'm guessing that something didn't go quite right, but I wanted to ask the community at large, rather than making assumptions at this point.

My next step is to start the customization script process, but before I go too far along that path, I'd like to confirm that my outcomes thus far are what I should be expecting.

Thanks for any input on this!

0 Kudos
0 Replies