VMware Horizon Community
spinjector
Contributor
Contributor

Windows 10 Notifications button and Action Center are permanently disabled in my Horizon sessions..?

The Windows 10 notifications Taskbar button and Windows Action Center are missing from my Horizon sessions, and despite all attempts they cannot be made to appear.

I'm using Horizon Client version 5.5.2 build 18035009.

If I go to Settings > Notifications & Actions, the Notifications switch is turned on. If I flip it off & on again, the Notifications button still does not appear on the Taskbar.

If I go to Settings > Taskbar Settings > Turn System Icons On or Off, the switch for Action Center is grayed out.

I contacted the Support Desk for our VMWare service provider (they're a huge bunch of nerds and pretty good), and after trying various things with GPEdit and the registry, the support agent could not get the Action Center to become enabled, nor the button to appear on the Taskbar.

The support agent found the Horizon session he was using during our call also did not have the Notifications button, nor the Action Center. He also explained Horizon does not support all Windows 10 features, and Action Center might be one such feature that Horizon does not support.

I searched Google for any references to Horizon not supporting Notifications or Action Center, but found none. Nor did I find any references to anyone even mentioning it missing from their own Horizon sessions.

Thoughts? Solutions?

Thank you.

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

There is nothing we can do, this is part of the operating systems managed by the people managing your virtual desktop service, and has nothing to do with the horizon software. All the horizon client does is provide the remote protocol, any specific windows setting is just like any other computer. They probably ran an optimization tool which disabled them, and once some things are disabled its very hard to reenable them.

Tags (1)
spinjector
Contributor
Contributor

@sjesse I understand; I thought this was odd. I have considerable experience with vBox, and my thoughts were that any VMS simply provides the platform for an OS to run, and any operational issues with the OS are the OS's problem, not the VMS.

I also have experience with NTLite for Windows XP and Windows 7, and I know when you "lighten" Windows by ripping out some parts of it, they cannot be installed or enabled later.

On that note, can you suggest what part of Windows 10 might have been disabled, such as in "Turn Windows Features On or Off", or what Action Center DLLs or registry sections I could search for to see if they're missing..? I was looking at this webpage, and nothing jumped out at me (I cannot access this part of Windows Settings without an admin plugging in his password). 

0 Kudos