VMware Horizon Community
claudes
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Windows 10 LTSB 1607 - VDI Start Menu breaks after Windows Update

I have windows 10 pool I've been testing with trying in hopes to move my whole organization to. Everything works great (better than win7 in most regards) except the start menu consistently breaks. We have Windows 10 LTSB 1607, with persistent disks and every time after I perform windows updates and recompose many users profiles corrupt and they can no longer open the start menu or the click on the clock and have it open up showing the date...etc. Users can still search windows by clicking the search icon.

If I were to roll back my snapshot it would still be broken for the user because it somehow corrupts their profile. Any help would be appreciated, I've done much research and nothing seems to fix this issue.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
angelage1
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

This is a known issue Release Notes for VMware Horizon 7 version 7.3.2

We've seen it intermittently impacting customers using Persistent Disk.  For awhile it looked as though some 1607 CBB versions are fine, but recently a customer using the latest 1607 reported this issue again. 

This issue stems from a fundamental change in cryptographic checks for Win 10, recomposing leads to mismatch between VM and persistent disk, this seems to impact some Windows Store Apps, Cortana search.  There's no fix for it. VMware's guidance is for customers to use folder redirection instead of persistent disk.  

Angela Ge Product Line Manager, VMware Horizon

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
angelage1
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

This is a known issue Release Notes for VMware Horizon 7 version 7.3.2

We've seen it intermittently impacting customers using Persistent Disk.  For awhile it looked as though some 1607 CBB versions are fine, but recently a customer using the latest 1607 reported this issue again. 

This issue stems from a fundamental change in cryptographic checks for Win 10, recomposing leads to mismatch between VM and persistent disk, this seems to impact some Windows Store Apps, Cortana search.  There's no fix for it. VMware's guidance is for customers to use folder redirection instead of persistent disk.  

0 Kudos
claudes
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you for the reply!!! I didn't know we could do that folder redirection. That will be better and easier. I'll working on setting that up.

We are using Horizon View 6, but it sounds like it's not only an issue with Horizon 7.

0 Kudos
angelage1
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Yes it impacts both Horizon 6 and Horizon 7 if you are using Win 10