VMware Horizon Community
JohnTwilley
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Windows 10: Fall Creators Build 1709 Experiences

Yes, I know it's not yet supported...but I'm curious how your testing is going with the new Win10 Fall Creators Build 1709. (Insider Fast Ring)

We've played around with it, but cannot get composer to successfully finish provisioning.  We think it's due to all of the new Security Features backed into the OS.  We will slowly disable them until we are successful.  How's your testing going?  

62 Replies
AndrewGL4646
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

We are having the same issue here, have you found a solution to the issue? I am also trying to disable Windows Defender services on my golden image as we speak to see if it helps.

0 Kudos
angelage1
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Device Guard is now part of Windows Defender.  Device Guard is currently not supported on vSphere or Horizon (it is in the roadmap).  Did removing it from the golden image help?

Angela Ge Product Line Manager, VMware Horizon
0 Kudos
AndrewGL4646
Contributor
Contributor

I have tried as you suggested to disable various Device Guard options in the local Group Policies but to no avail. Here is the message I get in the View Admin Console.

=================

Oct 19, 2017 3:53:15 PM EDT: View Composer agent initialization state error (6): Unknown failure (waited 0 seconds)

Pairing state:

Configured by:

Attempted theft by:

=================

@ : Are you faced with this exact same issue?

0 Kudos
glennvelsol
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I don't think you can remove device guard without group policy. My deployment just hangs at the customizing stage, and won't proceed.

0 Kudos
angelage1
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I'm the on the product management team for Horizon 7.  My engineering team is currently going through the qualification of Horizon 7.3.1 with 1709, they have not encountered this issue yet, but I wanted to make them aware. 

Angela Ge Product Line Manager, VMware Horizon
0 Kudos
AndrewGL4646
Contributor
Contributor

FYI : We are running VMware View 7.3.1 with Windows 10 1709 VMs on VMware ESXi, 6.5.0, 6765664

0 Kudos
pnascimento
Contributor
Contributor

Hello. We also have this problem. Provisioning a VM with windows 10 1709 fails during customization with Unknown failure (waited 0 seconds).

We are running VMware View 7.2.0 build-5735293 with Windows 10 1709 VMs on VMware ESXi, 6.5.0, 5969303

0 Kudos
JohnTwilley
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

We also have this problem. 

We are running VMware View 6.2 with Windows 10 1709 VMs on VMware ESXi 6

0 Kudos
glennvelsol
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We're running 7.0.3 Horizon and it doesn't work.

0 Kudos
DavidPatrick
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Same with us "Provisioning a VM with windows 10 1709 fails during customization with Unknown failure (waited 0 seconds)"

We running Horizon View 7.3.1 and ESX 6.5 U1.

0 Kudos
AndrewGL4646
Contributor
Contributor

I did some testing. Adding the same Desktop in a MANUAL POOL does work fine. So the biggest issue is really the Linked Pool deployment which seems to fail under any Horizon View / ESXi combination with Windows 10 1709.

Has anyone found any additional info?

0 Kudos
LusciousPanda
Contributor
Contributor

We are currently using View 6.2.2 and are having the same issue with receiving this error: 

View Composer agent initialization state error (6): Unknown failure.

Symptoms:

The linked-clones are being created.

AD objects are being created.

They have IP Addresses.

They are being renamed correctly.

We are using QuickPrep.

They are registered in DHCP but don't seem to be in DNS, possibly?

Issues we have seen:

They are not being joined to the domain.

We have tried:

Disabling all the firewalls.

Reinstalling VMware tools and agent.

I was able to manually Sysprep a clone without error.

This occurred on a pool that was 1703 and we ran the upgrade on the parent.

This occurred on a new pool created from the ISO and then customized.

glennvelsol
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

That's pretty much where I am as well.

0 Kudos
gcVmWare
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Same here. View 6.2.3 with Windows 10 1709

Add machine to domain manual works but Quickprep by view composer gives View Composer agent initialization failed error

0 Kudos
AndrewGL4646
Contributor
Contributor

Great wrap-up!

I also tried most of those steps on 7.3.1. I have also tried to look into the Horizon Logs on the client and on the server but could not find anything relevant.

0 Kudos
sappomannoz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

hullo,

instant clones seems to work with 7.3.1

0 Kudos
LusciousPanda
Contributor
Contributor

I have removed our anti-virus and disabled Controlled Folder Access in Windows Defender.  Still getting the same error. 

Has anybody else made any head way?  Since we are not on View 7, I don't have access to Instant-Clones yet and it wouldn't meet our needs on some of our pools so we will need to figure out the linked-clone issue eventually for us to move forward with this branch of Windows 10.

0 Kudos
LusciousPanda
Contributor
Contributor

Definitely related to the VMware View Composer Guest Agent service.  Does not want to start for some reason.

Found these in the vmware-viewcomposer-ga-new.log:

[1640] INFO  CSvmGaService  -  [svmGaService.cpp, 411] Service is in state: 5

[1640] INFO  Guest  -  [Guest.cpp, 885] Removing vmware-viewcomposer-ga dependency from BFE

[1640] FATAL Service  -  [Service.cpp, 38] Unable to open Handle to service BFE, Err: 5

[1640] FATAL ExceptionTranslator  -  [SvmStateMachine.h, 227] Unable to open service Handle.Error 5 (0x5): Access is denied.

[1640] FATAL ExceptionTranslator  -  [SvmStateMachine.h, 228] Caught an unexpected exception.

[1640] FATAL ExceptionTranslator  -  [SvmStateMachine.h, 231] Stacktrace:

SymInitialize() failed

[1640] FATAL Customizing  -  [Customizing.cpp, 70] Customization failed with: 6

Found these in the event log:

Always starts with this:

The description for Event ID 1 from source VMware View Composer Guest Agent cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

But has these at the end individually:

VMware View Composer Guest Agent service started 6.2.2 build-3505505

Enabled process DEP.

Obtained func for enabling process DEP.

Got kernel32 dll handle.

0 Kudos
MPC23
Contributor
Contributor

Same problem here with agent 7.3.1. Noticed quickprep not completing (machine not a domain member) and the composer guest service is stuck in a "Resuming" state.

pastedImage_0.png

Can't change the status of the service, when I force a reset of the machine, View deletes the VM and starts over.

0 Kudos