VMware Horizon Community
DGGeromini
Contributor
Contributor

Windows 10 2004 with Horizon 7.13.1 - Instant Clone fails to run Software Protection Service

We are experiencing a strange issue that resembles a bug in VMWare Horizon.  We have built three baseimages.  

- Windows 10 1909 - VMWare Horizon Agent 7.12
- Windows 10 2004 - VMWare Horizon Agent 7.13.1
- Windows 10 21H1 - VMWare Horizon Agent 7.13.1

HOST Version - 6.7 17700523

2004 and 21H1 - instant clones will not allow a user account with Domain User permissions to START the SOFTWARE PROTECTION SERVICE in windows.  This service activates our MSOffice 2016 by checking our Volume licensing through Active Directory.  We get an error 1053 when trying to run the service.  If we login as a Domain Admin on the same instant clone the service will run.  In addition to that if you power up the baseimage and login as a domain user the service runs without issue.  The instant clone process is somehow removing the permissions required by a domain user to run this critical windows service.

Software Protection Service worked without issue in Windows 10 1909.  This is now an issue in 2004 and 21H1.  We are unable to run MS Office 2016 on Windows 10 2004 or 21H1 on instant clones.  I have moved the baseimage aduc workstation obj and instant clone workstation obj's to an OU with zero policies to interfere.   The issue still exists.  

I appreciate any help you can offer.
0 Kudos
1 Reply
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

There is an area of VMTN for Horizon, so I’ve reported your thread asking moderators to move it there.

The {code} area is for SDK matters.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos