VMware Horizon Community
mougT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Windows 10 1607 and Persona Management

Hi

We have been testing out the new anniversary update on Windows 10. For the most part it works good, except that roaming profiles does not work properly. After some testing it seems that Persona Management does not support the new V6 profiles in 1607. Does anyone have any other experience, or do someone have an eta on a new version form VMware?

0 Kudos
18 Replies
sappomannoz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hell mougT

Is roaming profile (persona management) not working ad all or you just have minor glitches?

0 Kudos
mougT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Persona management is syncing files, but it is syncing to the "username.domain".V5 folder on the fileserver, and prevents Windows from creating the V6 folder. Thus you get a temporary profile on the vm (with files on desktop etc synced from V5 folder),

0 Kudos
sappomannoz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi mougT

thanks for the reply. Did you also try app volumes on 1607?

0 Kudos
mougT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

HI

Sorry no, we are not using App Volumes.

0 Kudos
h3nkY
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Currently Persona doesn't support profile version 6 yet.

No ETA has been defined yet.

0 Kudos
kasape
Contributor
Contributor

Hi all,

any update of this issue?

Thank you,

Petr

0 Kudos
sappomannoz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I switched from PM to roaming profiles+folder redirection, they are ok for me in 1607

When PM will be available for 1607 I will check it out

Cristiano

0 Kudos
EricNichols
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Switch to UEM if you can, it is so much more efficient and flexible.

0 Kudos
kasape
Contributor
Contributor

UEM - no way, we're on Standard edition.

The answer from VMware Support: PM support for Windows 10 1607 will be included in 7.0.3 version, planned to release in half of December.

Thank you all for your response.

0 Kudos
h3nkY
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

We have planned to have Persona supports 1607 in next upcoming release.

Hopefully within this year.

0 Kudos
Corpus_no
Contributor
Contributor

Is status still the same?

Any release date yet?

Starting to be a pain now this issue, as we are trying to run Win10 VDI as a Proof of consept, ending next week 😕

--

Corp.

0 Kudos
h3nkY
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Horizon 7.0.3 has released today. Check your download page.

Download VMware Horizon 7

0 Kudos
sappomannoz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi h3nkY

is Windows 2012 with deduplication now supported as persona profiles repository?

0 Kudos
h3nkY
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Technically Persona doesn't touch low level SMB protocol directly.

As far as the destination of profile repository doesn't change in the runtime then it should work fine.

We don't explicitly say support deduplication but if you find an issue please raise support ticket to your support channel.

0 Kudos
sappomannoz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi h3nkY

AFIAK there where problems with corrupted profiles in the past:

I also opened  a SR 15669323105, in 2015and the official answer was that 2012 + Dedup was not supported. I'm wondering if this has changed now since I can't find anything in the official documentation:

Resolution

Persona repository is not supported on a Server 2012 deduplicated system as yet. This feature is being developed for future releases.

0 Kudos
h3nkY
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

If you see our KB "Persona Managment fails to sync user data to the persona profile in VMware View (2085366) | VMware ...", Persona supports Windows 2012 from version 6.0.2.

As far as I understand, dedup is a backend process of Windows 2012 but it still exposes single point to the external, which means if you access IP 1.2.3.4 then it never changes.

Persona will not support repository server if it has an agent in the desktop and explicitly changes the share location dynamically. Usually we see in some of Distributed File System (DFS) configuration.

0 Kudos
sappomannoz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi h3nkY‌,

thank you for your answer. I will proceed with 2012 + dedup then

0 Kudos
MarkusHartmann
Contributor
Contributor

hi there, is there anything planned to bring an update for Version 6.2.3?

Our Client ist running 6.2.3 and need also support for Windows 10 1607 with PersonaManagement and V6 profiles. I created a SR 17336784501 

thanks and best regards

0 Kudos