Q1) Anyone else seeing that when the 2017/3/14 Windows Update for Win 10 (1607) is applied to the golden image, current View 7.0.3 Instant clones loose access to their Start Menu?
Looks like MS is tweaking the Start Menu structure again.
Fortunately, having the user logout and login onto a pre-update VM pool restores the Start Menu. Now the hunt for how to get past this issue.
Q2) For users with existing user profiles, has anyone found a way to recover from this situation other than re-creating the user's Writable Volume?
I'm running Win 10, View 7, Instant Clones with a combination of AppVolumes Writable Volumes (for appdata/local, etc) and UEM deployed to maintain user profiles.
Same issue here. And unfortunately, there is not fix for it at the moment. I just recently applied Windows updates to our golden master image a week ago, and it hosed the start menu yet again. Msft appears to be continually tweaking something in their OS. And they no longer seem to offer granular updates, you click Check Updates (online) and all of a sudden all updates are applied without letting us select or test them individually. In addition, some of the updates cannot be removed.
Fortunately, we clone our golden master before making any changes, and test everything out in a test pool here before we deploy anything or recompose any of our pools and we caught it. And like you , deleting the Writable Volume (and Windows profile), fixes the issue. Going around and removing the Writable Volume for every user, is not an option for us.
The second issue we started having after applying these updates is the user will no longer be able to log in to their desktop (it will start the logon process and will disconnect their session and they will not be able to re-connect). But, I am able to connect to their session using a remote utility like VNC or Bomgar and everything is in tact. Currently I have a ticket open with VMware on this issue as it only seems to happen to users with a Writable Volume. FYI.
I am having the same problem and I was able to create a temporary workaround, which can be run by the user having the issue.
I created script that deletes the following folders...
Then run the following Powershell commands
Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "C:\Windows\ImmersiveControlPanel\AppxManifest.xml"
Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "C:\Windows\SystemApps\ShellExperienceHost_cw5n1h2txyewy\AppxManifest.xml"
Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy\AppxManifest.xml"
It's worth noting that the folder deletion sometimes fails so make sure all running apps are closed. In my case, Chrome was the cause.