VMware Horizon Community
mlsam09
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

WinSCP fails to launch

Has anyone encountered an issue with WinSCP failing to launch with Horizon 7.10.3?  Reverting back to older versions, WinSCP functions as expected.  I can reproduce the problem with a clean server image when installing 7.10.3.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Shruthi_K
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

There is workaround to exclude the process, such that the dll ftapihook32 does not get hooked.

Jail blacklist
1. Run regedit.exe
2. Open value
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\ftsjail\ExcludeProcesses
The value is Multi String that contains excluded process names.
3. Append needed process name there (wildcards are supported). Example: *\notepad.exe.
4. Restart system

This should fix the issue without having to let go of the Scanner/Serialport redirection.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
FelixYan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Please give more information about your problem:

- How do you use WinSCP? You are launching WinSCP as a remote application or just launching it within the remote desktop?

- Is there any error message when launching WinSCP? Is this a problem about WinSCP itself?

- Have you tried to use vSphere to open the remote desktop and launch the WinSCP? Does it work?

0 Kudos
mlsam09
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How do you use WinSCP? You are launching WinSCP as a remote application or just launching it within the remote desktop?

Remote application; Some error message occurs if launched from RDP session

Is there any error message when launching WinSCP? Is this a problem about WinSCP itself?

Yes, please see the attached error message.  At this point, I am not certain where the problem lies.  What I can discern is that there is some sort of conflict with Horizon 7.10.3 and newer.  If I revert the same server back to 7.10.1, the issue/error DOES NOT occur.

Have you tried to use vSphere to open the remote desktop and launch the WinSCP? Does it work?

I have tried launching the application via the console in vSphere with the same resulting error message.

0 Kudos
FelixYan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

It might be a problem of Fabulatech's hooking dll. Please try to rename C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ftapihook32.dll to ftapihook32.dll.orig to disable scanner/serial redirection to see whether it works. Or you can install a new Horizon Agent without "Scanner redirection"/"Serial port Redirection" functions(remove the item from agent installation) to narrow down the issue.

0 Kudos
mlsam09
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Confirmed from a clean agent installation, both the Scanner and Serial Port Redirection had to be removed (not installed) for WinSCP to load/launch correctly.  Unfortunately, we need both functions in our environment.  Are you aware of any workaround and/or fix?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
FelixYan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Thanks for the information! No workaround so far if Scanner and Serial Port Redirection are your must have. We have one internal bug to track the issue and team is working on that. Will keep you updated.

0 Kudos
Shruthi_K
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

There is workaround to exclude the process, such that the dll ftapihook32 does not get hooked.

Jail blacklist
1. Run regedit.exe
2. Open value
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\ftsjail\ExcludeProcesses
The value is Multi String that contains excluded process names.
3. Append needed process name there (wildcards are supported). Example: *\notepad.exe.
4. Restart system

This should fix the issue without having to let go of the Scanner/Serialport redirection.

mlsam09
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you!  I confirmed this worked with both Scanner and Serial Port redirection unaffected.

0 Kudos
ap_idb
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you for this, I found this thread in dealing with another app that failed to launch, and adding to the exclusions worked for it.

The other app I had to perform this with is known as ConveyE.exe and is known as Sovos Taxport Convey

0 Kudos