VMware Horizon Community
Rok1215
Contributor
Contributor

Win 10 Non-Persistent VDI performance vs Win 7

Hello everyone,

In our environment we are using VMware Horizion and vSphere for all our server VMs and user VDIs

Lately we have been transferring all user data from our non persistent Win7 VDIs, to new Win10 non persistent VDIs. (i know, this should have been done years ago)

We've been able to get all specific programs and functions to work, but users are reporting lag with opening/closing windows and programs and overall a slower experience than on their old Win7 VDIs.

The old Win7 VDIs had 2 CPU cores and 3 GB of RAM allocated. The Win10 VDIs have 6 CPU cores and 6 GB of RAM.

Are there any best practice steps to optimize the master image of this VDIs, to get better performance, at least similar to how Win7 performed?

Would love to hear some feedback as to how to improve this.

(we've used VMware optimization tool in the past, but the default optimization just broke so many things in our testing and is not able to be reverted without using a older snapshot, but maybe I need to tweak the settings)

0 Kudos
5 Replies
fabio1975
Commander
Commander

Ciao 

What version of horizon and Windows 10 do you use?
Is the storage where the VMs reside always the same?
Do you use fslogix for user profiles?
By using VMware OS optimization tool in a targeted manner, you have significant improvements

Fabio

Visit vmvirtual.blog
If you're satisfied give me a kudos

0 Kudos
bjohn
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Try reducing the CPU's to 2. More isn't always better.

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

Yes like mentioned 6 cpu in your use case may be too much, 4 cpu in most of my use cases seem to work fine. You should look at tool loke control up or liquidware labs stratosphere, something to see the requirements you actually need, and readjust.

Also if you haven't, down load the optimization too again, the later versions are much better now in preventing issues that people have reported, and I'd try and follow https://techzone.vmware.com/creating-optimized-windows-images-vmware-horizon-virtual-desktops and test the image that makes and see if it meets your needs.

0 Kudos
Rok1215
Contributor
Contributor

We use Horizion 7, with Horizion View Clients using latest update + a few Wyse Thin Clients also updated to latest versions.

The storage of VMs is always the same.

I don't think we use fslogix? We use just simple folder redirection for specific user files when they log in.

I might have to try using the Optimization tool again and see if it has improved since.

0 Kudos
Rok1215
Contributor
Contributor

Didn't think 6 would be too many, but maybe you're right.

I will decrease to 4 and try out the optimization tool again.

Last time I tested it a few years ago it made the master image a unstable mess which was unable to be reverted, since of course we didn't make a snapshot before..

0 Kudos