VMware Horizon Community
Prabu0202
Contributor
Contributor

Will upgrading VCenter from 6.5 to 6.7 impacts users from accessing their VDI through VMware Horizon Client?

Will upgrading VCenter from 6.5 to 6.7 impacts users from accessing their VDI through VMware Horizon Client?

Tags (1)
7 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

As long as the vCenter Server version supports the Horizon version, you may upgrade. However, keep in mind that provisioning, and deleting VMs will not work while vCenter Server isn't available, so plan the upgrade carefully, and consider pausing provisioning during the upgrade.

André

Prabu0202
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you Andre. Certainly we will have close look on provisioning or deleting the VM's during the Upgrade. How about actual connectivity during the upgrade, i.e Will existing full cloned VM's , can be accessible through connection broker during the  Vcenter upgrade.

0 Kudos
dbrutus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I recommend adding a couple of extra desktops just in case and disabling provisioning during the upgrade. The extra desktops to cover yourself during the upgrade and when the upgrade is done, you can just remove them.

0 Kudos
blazilla
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

running connections or new connections to existing VDI VMs will not be affected by a vCenter update. Only tasks, that use vCenter functions (cloning etc) will not work. So if you are using full-clones your users won't notice anything from your update.

Best regards Patrick https://www.vcloudnine.de
Techstarts
Expert
Expert

Further to this, hope you have read the below

If you upgrade vCenter Server to vSphere 6.7, then all or some of the ESXi hosts in the cluster must be upgraded to vSphere 6.7. Else, the instant-clone desktop pools might not work correctly.

I found that while planning for Horizon upgrade.

With Great Regards,
Prabu0202
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Blazilla,

Found Upgrade vCenter Server article which states "New Desktop cannot be launched" . Could you please clarify will new desktop connection get impacted during upgrade or not.

Note: We are using full linked Clone model.

During the vCenter Server upgrade, existing remote desktop and application sessions will not be disconnected, but the following functionality is not available during the vCenter Server upgrade:

• Remote desktops that are in a provisioning state will not get powered on.
  • New desktops cannot be launched.
  • View Composer operations are not allowed.

Thank you,

Prabu G

0 Kudos
nburton935
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

1) Instant clone API changes in 6.7; I believe you need to re-push your pools after the upgrade so that the parents leverage the new API. Until then, provisioning will fail.

2) While connectivity won’t be affected, keep in mind for full clones; if a user shuts down their desktop during the upgrade, it will be inaccessible since Horizon can’t power it on until vCenter is accessible again. Just something to keep in mind.

0 Kudos