VMware Horizon Community
sikksakk
Contributor
Contributor

Wildcard certificate and Horizon 7 - failed to get certificate chain

Hi,

i'm trying - desperatly - to install a wildcard geotrust certificate on our horizon connection server, but it fails with;

WARN  (1494-1408) <Thread-1> [KeyVaultKeyStore] (NetHandler) Failed to get certificate chain for: "vdm"

WARN  (1494-1408) <Thread-1> [KeyVaultKeyStore] (NetHandler) Certificate chain not found for alias: vdm

The certificate in question is a valid, wildcard GeoTrust SSL CA - G3 certificate, with the following properties:

Version V3

Signature algoritm: sha256RSA

Signature hash: sha256

Public key: RSA (2048 bits)

friendly name: vdm

The certificate chain in the certificate mmc, shows OK.

The private key is exportable, and security is set to full control of the service user running the services. (plus system and admins).

There is only this certificate with the friendly name "vdm"

It feels like the intermediate and/or root is not in the jre servers' trusted certificate store, so i tried to create a truststorefile.key and load it with a locked.properties file, but that didnt help.

Trying to access the admin site (https://localhost/admin) gives the error "ERR_SSL_VERSION_OR_CIPHER_MISMATCH" with Chrome and "SSL_ERROR_NO_CYPHER_OVERLAP" with firefox.

Any tips/ideas/suggestions would be very appriciated!! Smiley Happy

/Chris

6 Replies
amscoit
Contributor
Contributor

Chris,

We have a very similar issue. 

* Were you able to solve your issue?

* Where did you see the "WARN  (1494-1408)" errors?  Are there logs that I should be looking at that I have no seen.  Please advise. 

thx.  EJ

======

Product:VMware Horizon 7.x

Product version:7.0.2 - 4356666

Issue description:After updating cert, "View Connection Server" no-longer reachable via https. SSL Cert for "View Connection Server" will expire

Cert appears to match with prior cert relevant fields and does show as "Certificate Status: This certificate is OK."

(Cert is from Network Solutions)

Followed instructions on:

http://pubs.vmware.com/horizon-7-view/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.vmware.horizon-view.installation.doc%2F...

1 Add the Certificate Snap-In to MMC

2 Import a Signed Server Certificate into a Windows Certificate Store

3 Modify the Certificate Friendly Name "vdm"

========

Chrome receives:

-----

This site can’t provide a secure connection

123.abcd.com uses an unsupported protocol.

ERR_SSL_VERSION_OR_CIPHER_MISMATCH

Unsupported protocol

The client and server don't support a common SSL protocol version or cipher suite.

-----

IE11 receives:

-----

This page can’t be displayed

Turn on TLS 1.0TLS 1.1and TLS 1.2 in Advanced settings and try connecting to https://123.abcd.com again. If this error persists it is possible that this site uses an unsupported protocol or cipher suite such as RC4 (link for the details)which is not considered secure. Please contact your site administrator

-----

**** Replacing old cert and changing Friendly Name to "vdm" corrects issue but old cert will expire.

0 Kudos
amscoit
Contributor
Contributor

!

I may have an answer:

In our case the issue was an option left default when "Create Custom Request..." was selected from the certificate mmc.

On the 'Custom Request' screen of 'Certificate Enrollment', select "(No template) Legacy key" from the 'template:' field.

(Do not leave as the default, "(No template) CNG key")

After making this one change, generating a new .req file and using it to reissue a cert., all worked as expected via normal processes.

Documentation for VMware Horizon 7 version 7.0

Please see attached PDF and jpg for more detailed info. 

Also note that VMware recommends generating SSL certificates using the following utility/configuration file/script.  However, I have not tired this method. 

Using Microsoft Certreq to generate signed SSL certificates in VMware Horizon View (2032400) | VMwar...

======

Notes:

Server OS = Server 2012 R2 Standard

Cert type = Wildcard  (*)

SSL Security Provider = Network Solutions

======

Please let me know how it goes.

thx.  EJ

0 Kudos
amscoit
Contributor
Contributor

0 Kudos
MaydayIT
Contributor
Contributor

It's weird though.  I've installed versions 5 and 6 and was able to use a standard wildcard I used for other services.  Now, for whatever reason, this no longer works.  I really hope they fix this in the very near future!

0 Kudos
kenshirou
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I had the same issue

And I resolved it by selecting the check box to make the certificate Exportable

pastedImage_1.png

apalexanian
Contributor
Contributor

I used the active directory enrollment polity, selected Web Server.

after adding the subject name, entering vdm for friendly name, my template was missing the Client Authentication for the extended key usage. For the private key tab, check the box to make the private key exportable.

Click ok and Enrole!

Make sure to delete or remove the friendly name "vdm" from any old cert.

Restart Services and voila!

pastedImage_1.pngpastedImage_2.png

0 Kudos