VMware Horizon Community
chillware1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Widescreen monitors won't stay at 1680x1050 :(

Hey guys,

As I'm rolling out my Wyse P20's I'm running in to another issue. We have a few users who have Dell 22" widescreen monitors. The default resolution on these monitors is 1680x1050.

However when the user logs in with PCOIP, windows is always defaulting to 1280x1024. I've enabled the registry hack to allow me to go back and change the resolution and it changes fine and stays until the next time the user logs out or reboots the vm. Then it's back to the 1280 again.

If I login with RDP, the resolution goes to 1680 like it's supposed to.

This behavior is only happening w/ people who have widescreen monitors. Everyone else that has the standard 19" monitors always login at thier monitors default resolution just fine.

So here's my setup:

ESX 4.1

View 4.5

Wyse P20 w/ 3.2.1 firmware

In my pool settings I have enabled dual monitor support and the maximum resolution of 2650x1600 (It's been like this since day 1 of the pool, not changed since VM's were deployed)

Windows 7 VM's

I've tried:

using a VGA cable w/ VGA to DVI adapter from monitors VGA port to DVI1 on the P20

using a DVI cable from monitors DVI port to DVI1 on the P20

messing with all the settings on th P20 including turning off/on EDID, setting RDP resolution to native and every other resolution in the list.

Changing windows resolution settings countless times

Somehow, someway, I got 1 device to always login at 1680 and I dont know what I did.. I tried replicating everything I thought I did on another device and cant get it to login at 1680..

ugh!!

Help?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
chaz112182
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Options -> User Settings -> Display Topology tab

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
chaz112182
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

if you update your p20 to latest firmware you can set resolution through the configuration menu on the wyse.  if your resolution isnt available there you can download a free utility that sets the resolution at login. i have done this both ways and both work the only difference being if you use the login script method and a user disconnects their session it will revert back to what the wyse thinks is the native after logging back in. 

0 Kudos
chillware1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I'm on 3.2.1 already and the only resolution related configurations I see in the Wyse Config menu is under the RDP tab, is that what you're talking about? I've already set that to the monitors default resolution.. but being that's under the RDP tab, wouldnt that only affect RDP and not PCOIP?

Thanks for you help!

0 Kudos
kgsivan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

I doubt some new windows update patch is causing the issue. Is it possible for you to verify such things ?

0 Kudos
chaz112182
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Options -> User Settings -> Display Topology tab

0 Kudos
chillware1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

that was it, I totally missed that new tab! Thanks!!

0 Kudos
chaz112182
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

For sure no problem, happy to help!   I have been dealing with the P20s for the last few months so feel free to reach out with any additional questions. I'd be interested in hearing how things work out for you. We've had solid results thus far.

0 Kudos