VMware Horizon Community
Lyghtnin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Why use RDSH vs. AppVol vs. UEM

With VMware having multiple ways to deliver applications - I'd like to know the design decisions on why you would use RDSH vs. AppVols vs UEM to deliver them. Is there a pro to using RDSH over AppVols? or reasons to use AppVols and UEM together? I'm looking for technical reasons not things like 'I prefer AppVol because its easy to administer'. Just trying to understand when I deal with customers why they would/should use one or the other for their app deployments during design decisions.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

My guess is that with Appvol you mean appvolumes??

Appvolumes is an application delivery tool whereas RDSH is a moire of a broker to get the deliver application to the user.

UEM is a workspace Management tool, so with UEM you can set drive mappings, install printers, keep personal settings per application (that you need to set yourself) and so on.

The big pro in Appvolumes is that you can package an application with a very straightforward method and are able to assign this application to a user during logon. So the pro with Appvolumes in combination with VDI is that you can use a floating desktop pool and dont have to have all machines available for each and every user. The VDI machine is beaing created for a specific user during logon.

If you are to use RDSH you can still use Appvolumes as you can assign the exact same appstack to a Windows RDSH server and publish that. So to be honest there is no Pro/Con regarding RDSH and Appvolumes, they can both work together quite well..

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
larsonm
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

This document can provide a guide as to how best to make the decision regarding how to deliver an application:

Horizon 6 Application-Delivery Decision-Maker

0 Kudos
Lyghtnin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

That describes the methods at which you could deploy apps - I want to know specific architectural/design reasons. You can deploy Office in the image, through RDSH or AppVols but WHY would you chose one over the other? RDSH is session based where AppVols is not so is there a reason why you'd use session based? Business use case reasons? I'm looking for more specific reasons but that pdf was helpful.

0 Kudos
Lyghtnin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Does anyone have a Pros/Cons on these?

0 Kudos
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

My guess is that with Appvol you mean appvolumes??

Appvolumes is an application delivery tool whereas RDSH is a moire of a broker to get the deliver application to the user.

UEM is a workspace Management tool, so with UEM you can set drive mappings, install printers, keep personal settings per application (that you need to set yourself) and so on.

The big pro in Appvolumes is that you can package an application with a very straightforward method and are able to assign this application to a user during logon. So the pro with Appvolumes in combination with VDI is that you can use a floating desktop pool and dont have to have all machines available for each and every user. The VDI machine is beaing created for a specific user during logon.

If you are to use RDSH you can still use Appvolumes as you can assign the exact same appstack to a Windows RDSH server and publish that. So to be honest there is no Pro/Con regarding RDSH and Appvolumes, they can both work together quite well..

0 Kudos