VMware Horizon Community
romatlo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Why is 'Use different datastores for OS disks and View Composer persistent disks' grayed out?

I have installed vsphere 5 (2 host cluster), vcenter 5, view 5, and openfiler (iSCSI VSA) in vmware workstation 7.

I am trying to simulate a tiered storage configuration and have created three shared datastores to separate the replica, linked clones, and persistent disks.

However, when I create my linked clone pool I am able to select a specific datastore for replica and linked clone but the persistent disk option is grayed out.  See attached pics for pool creation, storage, and network configuration.

Would anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes, the use of persistent disk for OS profiles require a dedicated linked clone pool.     The OS will be on the clone, persistent disk will be a thin provisioned disk that will survive refreshes and recomposes, and then the replica will be the read only copy of master image.    The replica typically has the most IO and is almost always placed on SSD or the fastest storage you have and the persistent data disk is usually low IO.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Did you create a dedicated pool so that you have the persistent disk option?    Just tested and it works for me so it might be wortwhile to go through the wizard again. 

romatlo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

THANK YOU!  I was choosing a Floating user assignment rather than dedicated.  So I guess the use of persistent disks requires a dedicated user assignment.  I am starting to understand this more.  Linked cloned VMs are still created but using dedicated user assignment allows me to split the OS from the persistent disk.  Sound right?  Smiley Happy  This is my first time configuring this...

I've attached my updated picture of how I plan to deploy this dedicated assignment.  Looks right?

Thanks again for your response.

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes, the use of persistent disk for OS profiles require a dedicated linked clone pool.     The OS will be on the clone, persistent disk will be a thin provisioned disk that will survive refreshes and recomposes, and then the replica will be the read only copy of master image.    The replica typically has the most IO and is almost always placed on SSD or the fastest storage you have and the persistent data disk is usually low IO.

0 Kudos