VMware Horizon Community
Jaguar51-50
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Why does licensing for Windows Desktops on Horizon need to be so difficult?

I've tried searching for an answer in simple terms and I've found nothing but licensing scenarios that don't apply to our intended deployment (or perhaps I'm missing something and not understanding correctly.  I'm hoping that someone here can clarify and point me to the correct resource\documentation that explains the requirements.

We are preparing to deploy a small Horizon Infrastructure, On-Prem that will host about 5 Windows 11 Desktops.  Eventually this is expected to scale after an initial PoC trial.

As I understand it, if the client desktop does not have SA, we then need to purchase a VDA license, correct?  Do we need to purchase a license for the Virtual Desktop itself?  I've been seeing articles that state that only the end-user workstation needs to have a valid OS license with the appropriate VDA or SA.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jubish-Jose
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Probably you have already seen this, if not, check if its helpful: https://community.spiceworks.com/how_to/146354-license-windows-10-for-use-in-virtualization-environm...

-- If you find this reply helpful, please consider accepting it as a solution.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Jubish-Jose
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Probably you have already seen this, if not, check if its helpful: https://community.spiceworks.com/how_to/146354-license-windows-10-for-use-in-virtualization-environm...

-- If you find this reply helpful, please consider accepting it as a solution.
michelkeus_stwg
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Looking at the question this isnt so much a VMware licensing question but more a Microsoft Licensing question.

In this case it is all related to what they call Product Use Rights and highly depend on how your source devices are licensed. 

If your source devices are just store-bought machines using an off-the-shelf version of Windows 10/11 (either OEM or Retail) then they will lack the added rights to be allowed to access a remote instance of Windows as you have defined it.

The remote use right you are looking for is indeed part  of a "subscription" be it either Software Assurance (for device-based licenses) or subscription-based versions of Windows 10/11 Enterprise (E3 or E5 on their own or as part of Microsoft 365 E3 / E5) or VDA licenses.

You can review all of it here: https://www.microsoft.com/licensing/terms/productoffering/WindowsDesktopOperatingSystem/OL#SoftwareA...

To quote the part you are looking for:

Remote Virtualization

Any user of a Licensed Device, or any device used by a Licensed User, may remotely access up to four Virtual OSEs or one Physical OSE of Windows software acquired through a volume licensing agreement. Customer's use of Servers  that are under the management or control of an entity other than Customer or one of its Affiliates are subject to the Outsourcing Software Management  clause. Notwithstanding anything to the contrary in the Outsourcing Software Management clause, Customer’s VDA E3 and E5 Licensed Users  may remotely access Windows software under these Remote Virtualization rights on any Listed Provider ’s devices dedicated to Customer’s use.

Hope it helps a little bit.