VMware Horizon Community
LarryBlanco2
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Why does Instant Clone actually copy the vmdk instead of cloning it?

Info about my VDI environment:

HP G9 server

NetApp 8040 backend with SSD's

10Gbit Network

I've noticed that when creating and IC for a desktop pool the steps that it takes are as follows:

1. Take gold image "win7-gld" and clone it to "cp-template1..."  Time taken 1 sec

2.  Take "cp-template1" and supposedly clone to "cp-replica1" time taken ~5 minutes

3.  Do work - Create "cp-parent(s)" - fairly quickly

4. Boot up "cp-parent(s)" and fork VMs

My question is why is it that going from the template to the replica (STEP 2), even though it states its cloning, it's actually copying the files over.  The template and replicate are on the same datastore.  I know my VAAI is working correctly because the clone from the gold image to the template literally takes less than 1 sec.

Just a question of curiosity.  The overall process is pretty fast for us but if it can go faster, then that's a good thing.   Maybe a bug in that step?

Thanks,

Larry

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
angelage1
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Instant Clone does not support VAAI, so the creation of the replica is a full clone copy (rather than offloading to storage array).  All other internal VMs and clones use efficient cloning technologies, therefore the overall speed is fast.

Angela Ge Product Line Manager, VMware Horizon

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
angelage1
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Instant Clone does not support VAAI, so the creation of the replica is a full clone copy (rather than offloading to storage array).  All other internal VMs and clones use efficient cloning technologies, therefore the overall speed is fast.

0 Kudos
LarryBlanco2
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Perfect.. Thanks!

0 Kudos
BenFB
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Is this due to a technical limitation where Instance Clones will never support VAAI? Or is it just a roadmap feature that will eventually be introduced?

0 Kudos
angelage1
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

VAAI is designed to offload full clone copies and large scale linked clone creation to storage arrays.  It has been very effective so far.  Instant Clones are by design very efficient when it comes to performance and therefore does not benefit from offloading to the storage arrays.  The only place where it would be beneficial is in the creation of those internal VMs (templates, replicas, and parentVMs), especially replicas since it's a full clone.  But there are so few replicas, therefore the impact of adding VAAI would be minimal from the customer experience perspective.  There are no plans to introduce it for instant clone replicas.

-Angela,

0 Kudos