VMware Horizon Community
casaro
Contributor
Contributor

Why Should Clients Be Forcibly Disconnected?

I see a lot of discussion about why clients are forcibly disconnected, and the different techniques that can be implemented to manage this, one of which being to set the View environment to never forcibly disconnect client sessions (assuming of course that either a) the client supports this or b) you disable session timeouts for legacy clients via the published KB article).

What I can't seem to find is a good explanation as to why you should implement a forcible disconnect policy. I can understand a disconnect policy based on some period of idleness, but to have a blanket timeout that says "regardless if you're actively working, you will be interrupted in 10, 12, 20, etc hrs" seems ludicrous. Especially for zero clients that don't support any sort of session "keep alives", the obvious solution then is to implement the backdoor session disable for legacy clients mentioned above, especially in circumstance when we don't have a predictable "reconnect" interval. So why not just disable timeouts globally then? There has to be some reason or use case as to why it's a good idea, and I've LOVE to hear it. What's the logic behind having a non-state-aware disconnect timer? Is it to maintain adequate Connection Server performance? Is it a security feature (ie: to mitigate risk of session hijacking)? Something entirely different?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
nzorn
Expert
Expert

I could see call centers using this due to licensing.

0 Kudos
casaro
Contributor
Contributor

In what way? I could see to clean up idle sessions to reduce concurrent session licenses, but that's not the setting. The setting will disconnect the session whether it's active or not, at which point if a call center staff member is active, they're just going to immediately re-use any licenses moments later when they reconnect. The setting just seems to be an unnecessary interruption and annoyance overall unless it's ever redefined as an idle session timeout. Which makes me think there's actually a really good reason for it that I can't for the life of me think of.

0 Kudos
markbenson
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

It's a security requirement in many enterprises to ensure that the user re-logs in periodically (e.g. after a typical working day). The default is 10 hours, but is configurable.

Mark

0 Kudos