VMware Horizon Community
theblackknight
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Which questions to ask our Desktop team to help get them prepared for a VDI solution?

I have a limted list of questions to ask our Desktop team to help come up with a solution for a Proof of Concept VIEW Deployment.

Does anyone have any suggestions on which questions I defintely NEED to ask?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DataSolutionsGr
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

A lot of the questions mentioned can be gathered using software and running a VDI Assessment.

Have a look at Liquidware Labs or Lakeside software to run a VDI Assessment. You can automatically gather information of the desktop inventory, applications, performance and even graphics intensity. With all this information you can then begin to target the vest candidates for VDI, and plan how to architect the environment.

Also good to ask the desktop team about current operations, any challenges and motivations to improve management.

Follow on Twitter | @dsga | http://twitter.com/dsga

Twitter: @dsga | Blog: www.data-solutions.com.au/blog

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I would ask them what their plan is for making the image as thin as possible. This includes which applications they plan on trying to thinapp and which they plan on installing into the template or golden image.

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpful/Correct buttons to award points

Twitter: http://twitter.com/mittim12

0 Kudos
theblackknight
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Aside from the usual, How many desktops, any other questions?

0 Kudos
mikebarnett
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Some key questions to consider:

1. What types of users will be using this environment?

2. What applications will my users need?

3. What will a typical usage profile of an average user in each group look like?

4. What resource requirements are there for the applications?

5. What type of availability will the users need to the environment? (ie. Internal only, internal/external)

6. Will the users need consistent settings between sessions? (ie. Dedicated vs Floating pools)

That should at least get you started.

Regards,

Mike

Twitter: @MikeBarnett_
DataSolutionsGr
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

A lot of the questions mentioned can be gathered using software and running a VDI Assessment.

Have a look at Liquidware Labs or Lakeside software to run a VDI Assessment. You can automatically gather information of the desktop inventory, applications, performance and even graphics intensity. With all this information you can then begin to target the vest candidates for VDI, and plan how to architect the environment.

Also good to ask the desktop team about current operations, any challenges and motivations to improve management.

Follow on Twitter | @dsga | http://twitter.com/dsga

Twitter: @dsga | Blog: www.data-solutions.com.au/blog
0 Kudos