VMware Horizon Community
ndemir
Contributor
Contributor

Which Thin Client for VDI?

hi,

which THIN CLIENT do you recommend to with ESX 3.0 server (VDI)?

What are the options?

Many thanks,

0 Kudos
39 Replies
sgrinker
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

It works pretty well though, as we haven't had any issues in the past few months of use.

Actually the one major issue is when jumping from one remote connection to another. The issue exists with almost any other solution (Matrox, SplitView, etc) that we've tried. If you are on one RDP connection and jumpt to another RDP or ICA session, this tends to lose track of the display boundries. Essentially you end up with a skewed sizing on your second connection, especially if using a "Full Screen" setting.

We've discussed this a bit in another thread here though. As was brought up there, this probably won't go away until the dual display functionality is addressed differently than it currently is with an "add-on" service.

...and yes, I just replied to my own post. Hopefully I don't start talking to myself too! Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
AlbertFish
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

What mechanism does the v10l user to span a vm accross both monitors. I note in its specs that it only supports RDP 5.0.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
sgrinker
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Since the device is running WNOS/WTOS they are actually using a variation of RDESKTOP (which is an open source RDP client). So although it's technically RDP 5.0, it's been modified to be able to span the display. To get realistic multiple monitor experience though, you also need to run a process on the remote machine. That allows you to snap windows to each display, and creates boundries for maximizing windows as well. Although not a 100% true experience yet, it works pretty well. We've had it in place for over 2-3 months now with no real major issues.

0 Kudos
AlbertFish
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

That makes sense. Thanks a lot for the info!

0 Kudos
davlloyd
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

The MHA version posted is V1.0.06, I would chase Version 1.0.08 as it has some bug fixes in it.

0 Kudos
mreferre
Champion
Champion

>The MHA version posted is V1.0.06, I would chase Version 1.0.08 as it

>has some bug fixes in it.

Which brings back the point discussed somewhere else about.... how can VMware re-distribute these things with their VMtools If we need to update them more frequently than we update VMtools .....? Smiley Happy

Massimo.

Massimo Re Ferre' VMware vCloud Architect twitter.com/mreferre www.it20.info
0 Kudos
sgrinker
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Which brings back the point discussed somewhere else

about.... how can VMware re-distribute these things

with their VMtools If we need to update them more

frequently than we update VMtools .....? Smiley Happy

Magic?? ...nah, come on... once everything gets stable, I'm sure there won't be a need for any updates! :smileygrin: (notice I'm joking here before anyone thinks I'm crazy.) I'd have to imagine that VM tools releases/updates would become more frequent as they bundle more and more into it. Either that, or some what to update just pieces and parts?

0 Kudos
tbrouwer
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Do you have a link for this or anything? I cannot find it anywhere on their site. Thanks!

0 Kudos
sgrinker
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I posted all the relevant links in this thread not too long ago... you should be able to find them there, but those are for .06.

http://www.vmware.com/community/thread.jspa?messageID=719730&#719730

0 Kudos
tbrouwer
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Yeah, I should've quoted davlloyd, I'm looking for the .08 version.

0 Kudos
ir1shm1ike
Contributor
Contributor

We use NeoWare Thin-Clients. We have about 75 deployed, they are really easy to setup, pretty thin, their NeoLinux is really nice and their support is wonderful, from my experience. I didn't care for Wyse, they seemed a little more of a hassle to setup compared to Neoware. Plus, a few more things turned me off from them. Just my opinion though.

0 Kudos
bigusdadius
Contributor
Contributor

Hard to go past the Wyse V10, they have broker

integration, dual monitor and very minimal ongoing

maintenance (think XPe and to a lesser degree Linux).

Also they have both MMR (refer 3.02 notes) and other

sweetners coming in the future

What session broker are you running?

0 Kudos
tdimaggio
Contributor
Contributor

Wyse ThinOS is my fav so far. Incredibly easy to configure from the network. No issues spanning monitors with the V10's and SplitView.

I use V10's with SplitView in my Ardence streamed XP vDisks. Broker with PRovision Networks on ESX....no problems, and relatively easy to setup!

0 Kudos
bigusdadius
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the response...I'm testing a Wyse v10 with Provision Networks VAS for VDI in my lab. It's interesting you mentioned SplitView, I just came across this yesterday. Currently, I just have the multi-display support from Wyse installed and it appears to work well. Are you using SplitView in-place of the Wyse multi-display program?

0 Kudos
sgrinker
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Yes, I was curious on decision to go with SplitView as well? Granted it does have additional features, but we have had no issues with the Wyse provided tool. Did you run into any problems?

0 Kudos
nakedpants
Contributor
Contributor

oops

0 Kudos
tdimaggio
Contributor
Contributor

No WYSE works well too...I've used SplitView in Citrix environments and with Neoware boxes and I like the extra features. For the few people that have duals where I'm at...its a cheap add-on.

0 Kudos
tdimaggio
Contributor
Contributor

...one thing I've notice with WYSE is it doesn't seem to like SnagIt. Overall I'm finding the extra features in splitview a little better and easier to manage then WYSE. The benefit of Wyse though is that its free with the S/V10's

0 Kudos
MartinSpicer
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, I'm trying to do the same thing with VMWare, Ardence and Provision Networks VAS. Do you have any guidance on how to automate the automatic provisioning of the XP virtual desktop (VM) based upon a read-only shared Ardence vDisk. I can't figure how to automatically assign the shared vDisk to multiple new cloned XP VMs which are initiated by the Provision Network VAS console!

Hope you can help!

Thx Martin

0 Kudos
braju
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Team,

One need to have wyse MHA software component need to be installed to have dual monitor support for WYSE thin client.

0 Kudos