VMware Horizon Community
axshun
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Where to get an MSI file for Horizon Client

Where can I get an MSI file for Horizon Client (trying to get version 4.5.0 currently)? I'm a little surprised there's not an MSI version of the file already offered on the VMware Downloads page. Tried using 7-zip to extract the EXE to get the MSI, but no luck. Just get a bunch of unopenable "u0", "u1", "u2"... files.

pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos
4 Replies
mhampto
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hello,

Is the MSI file needed to resolve an installation error?  If so, what is the error?

Matt

0 Kudos
axshun
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for your response. No specific error message. I think it would be much easier to script an install of the client if I had an MSI that I could use MSI switches with. The software deployment console I'm using has been tailored to make MSI installs a breeze, and in turn has made EXE installs a little clunkier. That's no fault of VMware of course, and I'm not saying that it is. I'm just wondering what the reason is for not providing an MSI (additionally restricting the ability to extract the contents of the EXE and pull out an MSI), when most other software makers provide an MSI, if not both an MSI and an EXE.

0 Kudos
nzdudeinsydney
Contributor
Contributor

Run VMware-Horizon-Client-4.7.0-7395453.exe /extract (or /x), and then open Explorer to your %temp% directory.

You'll see a new folder with a random 8.3 name (mine was gyrcgmtf.tdh).  Go into that, and browse to the Attached Container subfolder. Everything you need will be in there.

VMware.JPG

You'll need to add the .msi extension onto the VMware Horizon View Client (x64) file.  I also renamed it so it had no spaces.  As you're calling the MSI explicitly with msiexec, you can call it whatever you want.  If you're only 64-bit, you can also delete some stuff.  Here's my finished folder:

VMware.JPG

The .vbs files are just our standard wrappers that we use here to deploy apps.  I hope this helps.

mlister85
Contributor
Contributor

I have extracted the MSI as shown and when I go to install the Horizon Client app through the MSI is comes back saying that "VMware Horizon Client Setup Wizard ended prematurely".

I am wanting to deploy this so that all of the Laptops using it can be up to date without any issues. 

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos