VMware Horizon Community
halbewurst
Contributor
Contributor

Where do you see things moving???

Hi all i am not even sure if i post this question in the correct part of the community so if some admin think it is the wrong place please move it.

We currently have internal discussion how our instant clone setup should look like. We mostly run call center work loads but also lots of "normal office users" plus we also have IT department, finance and others on our platform.

Most things happen via MS Teams, webex and other tools. Beside of that we run cisco and avaya on our vdi platform especially right now during covid pandemic where most people work from home. We are now planning for expanding our server footprint and give some more power to our VMs. All of that runs on a wild mix of endpoints (linux, windows, mac, ipad, android)

While talking about giving more power to the vms (currently 2vcpu and 8GB Ram instant clones) some people tend to say we need more vCpus (min 4) to absorb the extra workload and need to be prepared to what comes in the coming years, others focus more on the RAM side and say double it to 16GB.

So it would be a great help to see how other people from the wider vmWare community see this and what their opinion is. 

Thanks in advance and happy to hear any feedback

0 Kudos
2 Replies
VM_Tech143523
Contributor
Contributor

My advice would be to do actual testing on what applications you are planning to use. Going in blind and setting a blanket standard can be a mistake on multiple levels. Everyone will have different levels of performance based on their job functions.

From my experience, I would advise using a 4 core processor and 12 gigs of ram. Typically that can handle your normal usage of O365 and basic admin work. 

Hope this helps,

0 Kudos
MaxStr
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

We've been using 4vCPU/8GB on our linked-clones for a while now, but we're still on Windows 1909. We'll probably have to start increasing the RAM soon, especially if we want to update to Windows 20H2 or later. For our power users, we're using 4vCPU/16GB RAM along with Nvidia GRID cards (4 vGPU/2GB). The GRID cards are a massive performance improvement by the way.

People tend to forget that VDI are no different than physical desktops when it comes to performance of modern applications. For example, newer versions of Windows 10 simply have higher requirements. And Windows 10 isn't alone, because Office, Adobe, Chrome and other applications are constantly being updated. 

0 Kudos