VMware Horizon Community
lorenze89
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

What's new with the upgrade Process?

Hello Cool People,

Its this time of the year again where I have to go through the process of upgrading our Horizon environment.  Currently we are on Horizon 7.0.0 with vCenter 6.0u1 and ESXi 6.0u1. We have two Connection server and two Security server and a standalone Composer.  I did check on the upgrade guide for version 7.5.0 which is the version we want to go and it seems that things have changed.

Normally, I go through the following as my upgrade sequence.

• View Composer
  • View Connection server 1
  • View Connection server 2
  • View Security server 1
  • View Security server 2
  • View Agent
  • View Client.

Does the same sequence still applies to version 7.5.0?  I hope someone can shed some light. Appreciate any response.

Best,

Tags (3)
3 Replies
BenFB
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

First off, you should be upgrading more frequently than once a year. VMware releases updates to the majority of their products quarterly. There are a number of security issues in the versions you are on.

Second, 7.5.0 has a number of known issues and I would not advise it (Windows 10 1809 will not work). At a minimum I would look at 7.5.2 although it has other knowns issues. Depending on the features you use you may need the latest release (7.8 as of now but 7.9 is expected any day now).

Depending on your needs the Horizon Extended Service Branches (ESB) could be a better fit for you but they still ship updates more than once a year.

FAQ: Horizon 7, App Volumes, UEM Extended Service Branches (ESB) (52845)

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/52845

Information on 7.5 Horizon Extended Service Branch (ESB) (66766)

VMware Knowledge Base

lorenze89
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for the input BenFB​ was actually looking on going to 7.5.2 instead of 7.5.0. Just trying to figure out if something has changed with the upgrade process and sequence than the earlier version.

Best!

0 Kudos
BenFB
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Your upgrade sequence is correct. Make sure to take adequate backups first (Shutdown all VMs and take snapshot. Backup SQL databases).

Horizon 7 Upgrades

0 Kudos